[MAGNIFICA] A new firework show (video online)

• 8 replies

Offline Zig Zou

• Designer scénographe
    • View Profile
    • LD Creative - Thème park Designer
[MAGNIFICA] A new firework show (video online)
« on: November 25, 2020, 12:27 PM »
Hello everyone  :)

I recently set myself a new goal, to design a sound/light show. I would really like to use the water jets of the game but really I was extremely disappointed with the night rendering of these. Even by illuminating them from below, from above nothing does anything, the water does not take the color and therefore not the light, it is quite annoying. So I will try to do something more with pyrotechnics and light, including some animations. Nothing to do with my previous dark-ride "City of Fire". And this is exactly what I wanted to do, not to repeat the same style of thing and continue to have fun on things that the players of the game almost never do (it’s very rare anyway) :)

As a starting point I set out on the creation of a large lake, with a show visible to 360° visitors to the park. My sources of inspiration? Yes necessarily I base myself on what already exists, that I liked and that will inspire me a little later. It is the show "Epcot forever" at Epcot center at Disney world (Orlando) and "Aquanura" at Efteling that are in this kind of configuration.

So first step, build an artificial lake with a good big concrete slab to fix all the systems that will be used for the show.
Place large aisles large enough to accommodate large numbers of visitors around without saturation (assuming Covid does not exist in planet coaster  :P )

Second step, hide the paths of the game to homogenize the whole, and build a wall all around the lake. This part has been excessively long to do because nothing is right, so I spent several hours just on it. Both for the wall and the floor that is affixed right next to it  :)

Third step, set up the sound system to "cover" the entire area where visitors will be in spectator during the show and to make background music the rest of the day in the park. The stand is also used for the hanging of lyre (robotic projectors) that will serve in the show, and as lighting of the area before and after the show  ;)

Go for a little night view to see :)

4th step, make a small advance on the lake to welcome even more spectators. This gives more details to the whole and brings "volume" around the lake. I know that europaparc makes this kind of "footbridge" for Christmas shows on the lake near the attraction Arthur  ;)

I took the opportunity to start to thematize this area to better integrate it with the rest. The footbridge was unfortunately not functional (and yes I hesitated for a long time between the paths in stairs of the game and those in element of decors), for the practical side it is simply decorative but still gives an idea of what it can give in truth. So the characters standing on it are the automata of the dcl studio. A sign that does not deceive ... visitors never have a 80cm bar in the butt in Planet coaster. Or else we are not told everything  ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 08:52 AM by Zig Zou »

Offline Zig Zou

• Designer scénographe
    • View Profile
Re: [ZIG-ZOU] A new firework show
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 02:42 AM »
Hello everyone  :)

I’ll come back with something new and quickly as well. Thank you for the lockdown.
So, the entire interior of the lake has been dressed and decorated with vegetation is fake rock. I continued to improve the existing by adding a few more details.  But the big novelty is a restaurant that will partially take place above the water to have a breathtaking view of the lake, the show and the rest of the park. This one will give more relief to the whole. For the moment it is not furnished, I focus for the moment on the exterior layout. So the fact of offering a place like this to the visitors of the park, it is the opportunity to make them pay a little more   :D  "The place to be", it is paid   ;D

Let’s not waste time, here’s the result:

Small view of the entire area. Small anecdote. To have during the construction of this place visitors walking around everywhere, and to make it more cheerful to see, I placed different flat-rides on the fly to attract them. Nothing definitive. I’ll arrange the outside of the lake when I finish the inside.

I was inspired it is the terrace visible in the teaser of Fly in Phantasialand, where saw visitors walking on a terrace overlooking the entire area of Rookburghavec the Coaster passing just next to  :)

Recently I was able to install 3 large giant water lilies on the lake, like those in Animal Kingdom (Orlando). The interior will allow me to hide a whole bunch of things (fireworks mortars, smoke machine, projectors, etc ...
Just before this is a small picture in more detail of the appearance of the lakeshore. To work on the lighting of the show I do not want to continue to do the scenery around the alleys all around the lake, I want to keep a good visibility  :)

So these are the water lilies. They’re equipped with multiple wolverines that make them twinkle at night. That’s the only problem with that system. At night the lamps keep one side "still turn on" even if there is no current in it. It is quite annoying. If I find something better, I’ll replace it.

So I will explain how I see things for programming. Having never done this on Planet coaster I discover and try to find small practical techniques. I made myself high in the game a small table or I made some labels (5-6 for now), each label (with below a controller) will allow me to quickly identify the effect recorded in the controller just below. I found it convenient at first because programming everything in one program, I quickly thought it would be the gas plant. So I’m gonna go like this:

-Creation of an effect (for example, movement from bottom to top with motorized projectors, flame jet, etc). One effect per console.
-Creation of the movement or small programming internal to the program that I am in the process of doing (e.g.: colour change, chenillard lighting effect of the projectors)
-Creation of the soundtrack of the show. I will go through sonyvegaspro for editing
-List by listening to the music each important item or I want a visual change. What effect will go when in music if you prefer.
-Creation of the main console of the show, which will have all the sub console with the programs in it.
-Upload music to console
-Launch of the various music programmes, in the desired order and adaptation of the times of each sequence in relation to the music. Trying to be as synchro as possible. For example, a good big bass to send a fan pyro effect at this time.

That’s basically how I’m going to do it. So good or bad I’m going to find out very quickly. I just hope I’m not going to set up a gas plant  ;D

Test at night now to show you in turn different effects that I started to do.
Let’s start with the flicker of the lights on the water lilies. The lighting can also be fixed.

Smoke with subdued lighting on the lake. Below I made a blue/purple mix. By far it’s not easy to see, but at any rate, the effect is beautiful, it really feels like heavy smoke on the lake. A shaving effect on the surface of the water.

Lighting from below the water lilies

I thought it would be nice to mix some small "mechanical" animations with the show, which is why I integrated some tentacles and the giant marine creature species in the lake.

Flame-jet pyro effect staggered in the lake. In the water lilies there is also a complete circle of flames that can activate.

And finally, my most tedious test, the robotic projectors (lyres). Programming on planet coaster is a real shit because we do not manage the movement at all. It is therefore necessary to define when we want to have light, in relation to the movement of it. For example a vertical movement from bottom to top, or from top to bottom, it is the timing entered in the controller that will allow to have this or that effect. Idem. For a movement it is necessary at least 3 programs in the program:

Program 1: Lyre Off/Motion Ignition
Program 2: Lyre on/moving
Program 3: Lyre Off/End of Motion

I’m not sure it’s that clear, but I hope you’ll understand my explanation. After if you have better techniques to save time on certain things or to make the MO less cumbersome, I am taker  ;)

That’s all for today. I will continue to light the lake, with the walls, the dome, and place some more projectors, and I will continue to do effects programming. The next step will be to design the soundtrack, before moving on to the final stage which will be the most tedious ...   ;D

Offline Zig Zou

• Designer scénographe
    • View Profile
Re: [ZIG-ZOU] A new firework show
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 09:20 AM »
[MAGNIFICA] Sound/light show

The show is 90% finished in the scenery surrounding the lake. The video will arrive by next week. Meanwhile here are some more night photos !! ;)

Delivery of the last moving head and projectors for the show. In total there are more than 350.

To give you an idea of how many consoles I used to design the show. One console per program, labeled so I can navigate :)

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: [MAGNIFICA] A new firework show
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 03:00 PM »
This looks fantastic... and the show hasn't even begun yet! :)

Offline Zig Zou

• Designer scénographe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 10:31 AM »
This looks fantastic... and the show hasn't even begun yet! :)

Hi JB, thanks for your support, it makes me very happy !!  :D
This is the first straight line for me on this creation. I "clean" all the projectors so that nothing gets out. The Lyre/moving head projectors on the facades were well integrated, in any case I did my best. The large glass roof behind the white dome and a Holiday park inspiration, at the entrance of the park side square with the fountains. I tried to have a nice skyline/perspective for the show, with a coaster and a starflyer in the background. We also really see the city in the background out of the map on planet coaster. I thought it was cool that we could see it  :)

Now, let’s take the pictures DURING the show  :n00b:

I also give you some views in broad daylight so that you can see some of the elements not visible at night.
Let’s start at the lake with a few lyres. Not being able to choose any position, they are not posed as you usually see them. It’s mostly to get the stack bundles the way I want them to  ;)

For the 2 huge bleachers that you can see, I wanted to mask the side, to prevent visitors from seeing below. It is always very ugly the structures and no interest to show them. So I opted for a rock cladding with small ponds. What do you think ?

I added in the installation light 7 skytracer for the nice look. For those who do not see what it is, it is the huge projectors that are used to point people at night for discotheque. The beam is visible for miles around. In planet coaster the beam is almost identical to the lyres ...  :)

I end with some photos with a general view of the whole area  ::)

See you soon ... for the video  :D

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 12:43 PM »
I like the two towers with the rings set at odd angles. The rocks and ponds do an excellent job at hiding the sides of the bleachers. Very nice.

Offline Zig Zou

• Designer scénographe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 08:51 AM »
Hello JB. Thank you, I really hope you like what I did on video, although it’s short  :)

I took the opportunity to make a YouTube channel especially for Planet coaster because the one I had for RCT3 I simply no longer have access to it. So, to help me get a little more visibility on YouTube, you can subscribe to the channel, it will be great. So I put my previous dark-ride CITY OF FIRE back on this new channel. Because the link I gave you a few weeks ago was unlisted on my "Pro" channel  ::)

There you go, you know everything, so it’s time for the MAGNIFICA video. I took the opportunity to make multi camera to film the show, so as not to get tired of one and the same point of view. I found this solution more "Alive"  ;)

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: [MAGNIFICA] A new firework show (video online)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 12:25 PM »
Very nice video, Zig Zou. :)  I love how the color changes of the structures also changes the mood. I wasn't expecting the tentacles and the sea monster; an exciting addition to the program!

Offline RCT D!

• Creator of Grimestone Mine - The VAULT - Periculum
    • View Profile
    • RCT D! - YouTube Channel
Re: [MAGNIFICA] A new firework show (video online)
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 01:26 AM »
Great fireworks. I like the setting a lot. Many different little lights illuminating the scene. The effects fit to the soundtrack, there must be so many triggers. Well done!