A new park from Wagi and citytrader!

• 50 replies

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
Re: A new park from Wagi and citytrader!
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2021, 06:15 AM »
While we aren't trying to exactly recreate actual historical building, we have done a lot of research so our structures are somewhat similar, some even turned out very close to looking like the original, even if they are just meant to be 'inspired' by the real things. 

There's a couple examples in this 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exposition section of the park....

The interior of the Horticulture Building...

We made a smaller version of the Main Exhibition Building...

The "Art Gallery" shown in the screens above is based on the Memorial Hall at the Exposition, which still stands and is home to the Touch Museum...

Citytrader already showed the photograph of the Statue of Liberty's arm and torch.  The layout of the 1876 Exposition, while fairly small, is also quite open.  The actual Exposition was also spread out with a lot of lawns and wooded areas.

Many of the banners and signs in this area are actual period artwork.

(And ignore the areo-plane on the carousel...the very idea of mankind flying through the sky like birds is preposterous!  Why our steam locomotives  already roar down the rails at 30 miles an hour!  Mankind was not meant to travel at speeds any higher than that!  To reach the velocity needed to remain aloft such flights of fancy would require speeds prone to cause the weaker sex to swoon and even strapping gentlemen to go dizzy.  Nothing will ever come of it...)

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2021, 06:33 AM »
great torch, I mean touch!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2021, 04:06 PM »
Quote: "Nothing will ever come of it..."

Indeed. Pure fantasy (probably penned by that silly upstart, Jules Verne). You might as well say that we'll be going to the Moon at 24,000 MPH. hahahahaha.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2021, 03:56 AM »

You might as well say that we'll be going to the Moon at 24,000 MPH.

Now let's not get carried away, that's just crazy talk!  Next you'll be suggesting that women vote or that everyone will have one of them new-fangled "tele-o-phones" that supposedly carry voices across a couple hundred feet without shouting!

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2021, 07:47 AM »
That is a tough task, but one to be proud of! I am very much aware of that building since I live in the Philadelphia area.

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2021, 09:34 AM »
Thanks guys!

Happy 4th of July from Disney's America!

Contrary to popular belief, I was not around for all of the above time periods, just for most of them!

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2021, 10:26 AM »
Contrary to popular belief, I was not around for all of the above time periods, just for most of them!

Guy's gotta sleep sometime...

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2021, 02:16 PM »
Quote from citytrader (again): "Contrary to popular belief, I was not around for all of the above time periods, just for most of them!"

I can vouch for that. I didn't see him anywhere when I was at the Boston Tea Party.

Those tea crates look very realistic. :up:  Luna Park looks like the place I'd like to go first (before it burns down). The entrance to the New York 1939 World's Fair looks wonderful; can't get any more Art Deco than that.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2021, 09:43 AM »
That is a tough task, but one to be proud of! I am very much aware of that building since I live in the Philadelphia area.

Thanks!  I'm glad it turned out close to the real thing!

Offline Baneif

• Roads ? Where we're going we don't need... roads !
    • View Profile
    • Turtle Bay Video Series
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2021, 03:10 AM »
Really nice buildings, a lot of details  :up:

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2021, 04:59 PM »
You know I'm a sucker for the Pan Pacific Auditorium...  ever since that day I saw Olivia Newton John roller skating in front of it.   Wait, does that make me older than Citytrader?

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2021, 05:43 AM »
You know I'm a sucker for the Pan Pacific Auditorium...  ever since that day I saw Olivia Newton John roller skating in front of it.   Wait, does that make me older than Citytrader?

Only if you saw Cleopatra roller skating in front of it would you be older than Citytrader....

I also love this building, it's an Art Deco Entrance Building based on the PPA by slowly from the Workshop.  All I did was to add the flags, banners and the NYWF lettering to it and it's perfect as-is.  One of my favorite Workshop finds!

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2021, 06:50 AM »
Only if you saw Cleopatra roller skating in front of it would you be older than Citytrader....

:facepalm:  I do so enjoy setting you up for the punchline.

It does strike me more as California than New York, but I think that's just because of the source material; the style itself I think definitely works for New York.   And you probably know but there was also a modular TMTK set for this building, sadly not colorable though.

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2021, 03:41 PM »
This was the actual entrance to the fair. Very cool, but I think slowly and Wagi's is much better!

Taken with my polaroid, of course!

And for the record, Helen of Troy was much hotter than Cleopatra.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 03:43 PM by citytrader »

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2021, 07:03 AM »
^ Wow, that is a throwback for sure! Such a futuristic entrance, almost like doo wopish architecture or Jetsons.

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2021, 02:21 PM »
Well, the NY World's Fair was "The World of Tomorrow"! Eighty years later, not quite how they envisioned the future, huh?

Representing the colonial period of American history is the quaint little hamlet of Sleepy Hollow, where mystery and terror reign;

The foreboding church. Looks like the gravedigger is burying yet another headless victim!

You have to look closely to find the reason for all this dread;

The Van Tassel family mansion is open to guests for a party!

Katrina Van Tassel has read all the old witch's tales, and frequently has nightmares about becoming a witch herself!

A very special thank you to  ramses.sam for his wonderful Baskerville Hall, which fits perfectly into the area!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2021, 02:47 PM »
These shots capture the mood of Sleepy Hollow perfectly. I love the village scene (2nd shot) with its rough-hewn timbers, bare trees, lamps aglow, and fog. And yes, I see "the reason for all this dread"- brandishing his sword in one hand and his Jack-o-lantern head in the other.

Is there a ride inside the mansion? Or does it serve as the queue for the spooky flat ride?

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2021, 04:58 PM »
love the creepy look of this area. very well done

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2021, 01:42 PM »

Is there a ride inside the mansion? Or does it serve as the queue for the spooky flat ride?

Glad you asked!

Start your journey with Ichabod home from the Van Tassel parlor;

Some noisy crows try to warn you of danger ahead;

Why did someone leave that nice axe here in the forest?

Lots of bats out tonight!

Looks like light in the clearing up ahead...

"For once you pass the bridge my friend, the ghost is through, his power ends!"

The bridge is just ahead... what is that?!?!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2021, 03:10 PM »
Nice 'n creepy. I like your use of billboard images to make the woods look much larger and more detailed.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2021, 04:20 AM »
Ooh,  a creepy darkride. Loving the attention to detail! Very mysterious!