A new park from Wagi and citytrader!

• 71 replies

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: A new park from Wagi and citytrader!
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2021, 01:52 PM »
Nice environment!

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2021, 02:37 PM »
Our monthly update!   :w00t:

Sorry it seems to be going so slowly, but this has turned into a larger project than we initially planned - that seems to happen a lot when we do a project together!  LOL!. 

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2021, 02:52 PM »
Took me over an hour to slog through it all, but I prevailed!

I like the use of the mural/billboard. Is that the Yellowstone River and Falls? (Looks like it.)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 02:55 PM by JB »

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2021, 05:04 AM »
Is that the Yellowstone River and Falls? (Looks like it.)

Yes it is!

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2021, 07:58 AM »
I know I commented on the billboards before, but I absolutely adore the painterly aesthetic you chose for the images, rather than a photo. I love the contrast they have with the realistic vegetation and rockwork next to them. It gives it a real whimsical and slightly old Hollywood film about them, that  give the whole look of the ride a warm, nostalgic feel.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2021, 09:45 AM »
Thanks Nemmie! 

Yep, I've always loved the look of some of the huge landscapes of the American West that were painted back in the late 1800's/early 1900's, and felt they would blend better with some of the objects available in the game, which are a mixture of  very realistic textures along with some things that are a bit more Impressionistic.  Peeps would already know they aren't looking out over a real landscape, so the realism of a photo I felt wasn't totally necessary.  And I think Disney would be more likely to use painted vignettes (like they do on the backgrounds of the Disneyland Railroad dioramas) than photos.  Originally I built the ride with several buildings holding the vignettes inside, but hiding the building exteriors multiple times just didn't turn out right, so they are, in fact, open air sections of the ride with the painted billboard images on one or both sides which were easier to blend in with trees and rockwork.

Glad you like them! ;)

« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2021, 08:42 AM »
The slowness is mostly on my part! Work has been really intense this fall, and I just don't have the mental energy when I get home!

Anyway, after a few more twists and turns, you arrive at the Oregon territory!

A bear encounter;

Another view of the Yellowstone hot springs;

Entering the Pacific Northwest;

Arriving at Fort Clatsop in Oregon Territory!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2021, 12:50 PM »
I love the use of the murals with the small patches of 'real' terrain and landscaping in the foreground.
"Entering the Pacific Northwest". Now it's starting to look familiar to this Pacific Northwester (to Wagi, too!). Mountains, lots of evergreens, waterfalls, white-water rivers, and wildlife. Iconic western Oregon and Washington.
I like how the river rapids track goes through the Fort, not just drift by the front. Much more interesting this way.

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2021, 05:42 AM »
Seriously the way you did the backdrops is so cool with the trees, rocks, and animals. It makes it feel less like a backdrop and more like the actual thing, really good work.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2021, 06:12 AM »
Thanks guys for the nice comments - much appreciated!

When you enter the ride you are at Camp Dubois, where Lewis and Clark's Corps of Discovery set out, northeast of St Louis.  The ride then somewhat follows their journey across the plains, through the Rockies, then down to the Pacific Ocean where you arrive at Fort Clatsop - which is the same fort station by operateur with signage with the other name pointed in that direction...

The ride isn't totally historically accurate, I believe they explored the Yellowstone area on their way back...

The slowness is mostly on my part!

Ha!  He ignores the part where I take a bench to work on, and two months and 150 TMTK objects later I say "oh, did you want to work on this?"  While it's now split up onto three benches...he doesn't get it to work on it any faster as I'm usually messing around with at least two of the three either building structures, or - more likely - making something with the TMTK I think we can't live without.  Even on the rare moments he has time on his hands, the bench he has an idea for is probably being hogged by me!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 07:22 AM by wabigbear »

« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2021, 08:16 AM »
You're right, it's all your fault!!!   :P

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2021, 07:51 AM »
This is a super late response, but I love the bear diorama!