Problem With New Version Of Windows 10 Home

• 9 replies

Offline warcat

• shyguy's World rules!
    • View Profile
Problem With New Version Of Windows 10 Home
« on: June 05, 2021, 11:19 AM »
Is anyone else having a problem running RCT 3 Platinum since upgrading to the new version of Windows 10 version 20H2?  I recently did the upgrade, seems I didn't have a choice since the message was my version would no longer be supported and no updates would be given. Since the upgrade, 5/31/21 I have a problem loading the game or most times will not load at all.  Didn't have a problem before the upgrade.  Looking in settings I see the following: 

EDITION            Windows 10 Home
                                  VERSION           20H2
                                  INSTALLED ON  5/31/2021
                                  OS BUILD          19042.1023
                                  EXPERIENCE      Windows Feature Experience Pack

Any suggestions to help with this problem would greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Well I see 68 views and no replies so I'm going with the idea I'm the only one having this problem. Backed up Style/Theme,/Custom, Tracks, Cars, Sounds to re-install.  Going to see if un-install and re-install fixes the issue and if so then I'll reinstall the backed up files. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 07:10 PM by warcat »

Offline DanTheThoosie

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Problem With New Version Of Windows 10 Home
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 10:06 AM »
Maybe it's just your computer. I just applied the same update to my Win10 laptop and I found no issues so far. Is your version the retail disc version? Steam? Amazon Digital Download?

Offline warcat

• shyguy's World rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 04:16 PM »
Maybe it's just your computer. I just applied the same update to my Win10 laptop and I found no issues so far. Is your version the retail disc version? Steam? Amazon Digital Download?
Retail dics version. I've had this disc for years.  When I try to start the game I see the icon of the disc spinning  then an arrow and then nothing.  Even clicking on the icon in the game's folder doesn't load the game.  At first I thought it was Shortcut on the desktop. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 04:20 PM by warcat »

Offline warcat

• shyguy's World rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 06:08 PM »
UPDATE:  I have no idea why but the game shortly after i posted started to load and work, well for one day anyway.  Next day, once again it would not load.  Finally bit the bullet and un-installed the game, saving old games, folders ( Tracks, Style, Cars, Sounds, Supports). Reinstalled and still no luck, Tried the game later the next day and so far, knock on wood, it's loaded and played.  Now another strange thing is I just did a regular re install, didn't update the folders I copied but yet everything I thought I'd have to re install in those folders is showing up in the game....Have no idea what and why this happened but I'm HAPPY again I can play.

Offline DanTheThoosie

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 07:50 AM »
Kinda wanted to ask you this, but have you thought of fiddling around in regedit to make RCT3 run in the hard drive? That's how I would get RCT1 and 2 working there.

Offline warcat

• shyguy's World rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 07:50 PM »
Kinda wanted to ask you this, but have you thought of fiddling around in regedit to make RCT3 run in the hard drive? That's how I would get RCT1 and 2 working there.
Wouldn't have the slightest idea how to go about doing that. As I mentioned above, the game is working now but sometimes it will just crash for what seems to be no apparent reason.  Just trying to add an already made coaster and game freezes the next thing I know I'm back looking at that desktop.  Just say a few choice words and walk away....Looking now for a refurbished computer to just install the game on to play.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Offline Anon-P

• modCheck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 02:48 AM »
I have Windows 10 20H2 on my laptop and didn't see any issues

Offline warcat

• shyguy's World rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 09:40 PM »
I have Windows 10 20H2 on my laptop and didn't see any issues
I'm playing on a laptop also.  Sent for a refurbished desktop and so far so good playing that.  Still on my laptop and working okay, again so far so good,but sticking with the desktop computer for now. 

Offline francescoaster

• Custom Content for Everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 03:39 PM »
That sounds like the kind of problem that can be fixed with sfc /sannow from an elevated command prompt, or, at worst, performing an "in place" windows reinstall.

Offline warcat

• shyguy's World rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 09:45 PM »
That sounds like the kind of problem that can be fixed with sfc /sannow from an elevated command prompt, or, at worst, performing an "in place" windows reinstall.
Thanks for the suggestion Francescoaster but haven't the slightest idea of what you are suggesting and how to go about it....Senior citizen here with just enough "knowledge" to get myself in trouble on a computer as a friend from the past once told me.  It's working now on the laptop but prefer now to play on  the "new" refurbished computer. Just finished transferring all the files for the game from the laptop to the desktop and copying them into the game files and also into the Document RCT3 folder.