• 4 replies

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Sikes Lake Amusement Park - 1997 - Update #3
« on: November 23, 2021, 09:07 AM »

Hello everyone,

My name is Pete Stevenson,

I am a Seattle native and huge fan of our local amusement park Sikes Lake.

As many of you may know this park has been open for 50 years, and has a long rich history providing thrills to the surrounding Seattle metropolitan area. It is Washington state's premier amusement park, currently boasting five roller coasters, two water rides, and multiple flat rides.

A brief history: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Located in Carnation, WA on the cusp of Sikes Lake, the park was opened by a rich local in 1947. As the years went on and the baby boom took off, this park started booming. In 1955, the park's first roller coaster, a wooden roller coaster named "Lightning" opened up, and is still one of the park's most popular rides.

The park was small at first, only hosting a carousel, some flat rides, and a main street. As time went on the park slowly expanded. Eventually in 1978, an investment group located in Seattle purchased the park and began expanding and theming the park. They added a log flume, a rapids ride, some flat rides, newly themed areas, shopping, restaurants, and more. The park then went through a huge expansion in the late 80's and early 90's. In 1988, the park's Vekoma boomerang opened, dubbed Goldstriker. In 1989, a bobsled roller coaster, Red Baron opened. And in 1993 an indoor Intamin roller coaster dubbed Dragen Kastle opened in 1993. However after Dragen Kastle was opened, financial troubles started to hit the park....

In the summer of 1995, it was announced that Premier Parks LLC would purchase the park. The new owners of Geauga Lake in Ohio, and Darien Lake in New York, now added another "lake" park to their collection; Sikes Lake.

They immediately rebuilt the entrance plaza, updated food stalls, and added a Huss Top Spin to the park.

And finally here we are in 1997, the park seems to be going through a great time, and most recently Premier Parks added two new attractions this season; Timber Towers, a dueling S&S launch/drop tower, and Mind Eraser, a Vekoma SLC.

For this update I will showcase some of the smaller sections of the park, saving the bigger sections for a later update.

Enjoy!

Upon entering the park you see the parking booth, somewhat outdated, but still functional.

The entrance plaza is beautiful now that it has been recently updated by Premier Parks. It also has the park's original carousel showcased right as you walk in.

As you make your way to the left side of the park, you are immediately greeted by "Lightning," the park's original roller coaster!

This area of the park is the remodeled old entrance plaza. These buildings may have received face lifts recently, but this used to be where the ticket booths were back in the old days! Now it is just an unnamed section of the park, but the shops are still very popular!

Directly behind the entrance plaza and to the right of the old entrance area is a kid's section, dubbed "50's Kidway."

It has a small indoor theater for shows and some great flat rides for kids.

Going back to the adult rides, we have Radius right at the entrance of "Wilderness Outpost." And right behind it you can see Mind Eraser towering over the park.

Wilderness Outpost has two rides, Logger's Run and Timber Towers. Two extremely popular rides, with Timber Towers being brand new.

And finally, a risky shot atop Lightning!

That's all for today. Next time I will show off the remaining themed areas of the park!

Have a great day everybody.

-Pete
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:55 AM by Cinestri0 »

Re: Sikes Lake Amusement Park - 1997
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 10:26 AM »
nice looking park

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 07:26 AM »
^Thank you! ;)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this update I will focus on three more areas of the park.

Starting off is the second kid's area, Outlaw Ridge, a western themed kid's area.

It has four flat rides, and a very popular train ride through the woods, along with a small stage for shows.

Next section is the farthest from the park entrance, Sikes Pier. This section consists of three flat rides, a grandstand on the lake, the park's second alcoholic drink stand, and some shops.

Fireball and Hurricane are the two major flat rides over here.

And here you can see the ferris wheel that overlooks the lake as well as the grandstand.

At the intersection of Sikes Pier and the next section, the Midway, is an arcade.

The midway features a very popular looping starship ride, Liftoff.

As well as some restaurants/food stands, and of course games!

But the main draw is Mind Eraser*, the new Vekoma SLC.

The ride is proving to be extremely popular, as you can see guests tend to fill the queue almost entirely.

That's all for this update! Next update I will finally showcase the last two sections of the park. Have an awesome day!

-Pete

--------------------------------------------------
*The Mind Eraser track layout and majority of supports (I added/deleted some) as well as the ride sign are a blueprint I gathered a long time ago and not my personal work, I do not know the author or I would give credit...
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:54 AM by Cinestri0 »

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 06:54 AM »

Hello everyone, for this update I will show off the last two sections of the park; Ghost Town, and Germantown.

Ghost Town is in-between the Midway and Germantown. This is the Midway side entrance.

It is themed to an abandoned mining town, with abandoned-looking western style buildings.

It also has the park's second water ride; Goldrush River.

This ride is sure to get you soaked.

The Vekoma Boomerang is here as well, dubbed Goldstriker.

This area also has a very popular Huss Top Spin, Tornado.

And this is the second entrance to Ghost Town.

Germantown is the park's most popular section.

It contains the park's second most popular roller coaster; Red Baron. A bobsled roller coaster. This roller coaster is extremely low capacity, and on some days can see lines up to three hours long!

The area also contains a biergarten, an up-charge go-kart ride, the Autobahn, and a flat ride, Invader.

And finally, the section contains the park's second-newest roller coaster, Dragen Kastle.

The indoor roller coaster was the final roller coaster built before the sale to Premier Parks. It is a dark-themed family roller coaster that takes you through castle corridors until you get to the station.

The castle façade also looks awesome during the day!

That's all for this update!

For the next update I'll show some ins - and - outs of the park!

Thanks for reading.

-Pete

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
Re: Sikes Lake Amusement Park - 1997 - Update #3
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:06 AM »
I have to say, I love the SLC. I can feel my ears rattling just looking at it. It looks very authentic.
The whole park has a nice cozy feel too.