Need some help with transfer of game to another computer

• 5 replies

Offline warcat

• shyguy's World rules!
    • View Profile
Need some help with transfer of game to another computer
« on: August 09, 2022, 04:27 PM »
Hey guys I need some help with the RCT 3 Platinum game.  I recently got hold of a re-manufactured desk top computer running Windows 10 Home OS...I re-installed the game, then started to slowly copy and paste all the files from the other computer....Now I'm needed help on getting the CT coasters to load. They are all showing in the game, saved tracks are showing but when I try to place them in a park the games will crash. I tried re-building the coaster and again the game will crash..Everything seems normal, the coaster listed, the outline of it before placing but then a crash when being placed...All the in game coaster are fine, it's just the CT coasters...All the custom footings, supports, etc are fine, it's just the track pieces I'm having an issue with...Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help with transfer of game to another computer
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 04:38 PM »
Just a guess, but did you transfer all the custom track files to the tracks>TrackedRides folder?

Offline warcat

• shyguy's World rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 07:16 PM »
Just a guess, but did you transfer all the custom track files to the tracks>TrackedRides folder?
I copied the entire track file from the computer I had the game on onto a flash drive and then copied the enter file from the flash drive into the game on the new computer....Checking the file on the newer computer I see all the custom track.  I really don't want to uninstall the game and all the files and reinstall everything again but that might be the only solution...I'll wait a few days and hopefully someone or myself might figure out what went wrong....
Thanks JB for the question.......I think I will try to copy just the CT track files from the original computer and then reinstall that file again on the new computer instead of the whole file since all the other saved coasters are fine...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 07:20 PM by warcat »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 09:29 PM »
Probably a good idea to just copy your entire RCT3 Platinum folder, including everything in it, from Program Files (x86), on your old computer to the new computer. Often times there are other files in other folders that are necessary for things to work. Also, the file path might be different on the new computer, so some files might not be where the game expects them to be. Good luck. :)

Offline francescoaster

• Custom Content for Everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 04:14 AM »
Most CT tracks requires custom CTR cars or the "flat" stations. These are found in the Cars folder, and in the Tracks\Platforms folder.
I agree with JB though: the best way to transfer the game is basically just copy the whole game folder from the old drive. That will save a ton of troubleshooting when trying to open old park files (Missing CS, CTs or custom stalls that will cause crashes).

Offline warcat

• shyguy's World rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 06:55 PM »
Most CT tracks requires custom CTR cars or the "flat" stations. These are found in the Cars folder, and in the Tracks\Platforms folder.
I agree with JB though: the best way to transfer the game is basically just copy the whole game folder from the old drive. That will save a ton of troubleshooting when trying to open old park files (Missing CS, CTs or custom stalls that will cause crashes).
My main problem with the game is the track files....I can see the CT coasters in the game, blue when hovered over an empty spot, but as soon as I go to place them that's when the game will crash..If I try to build the CT coaster again,like for the first time, I can see the piece but as soon as I go to place it, again the game will crash.. I've copied and pasted the folder/files  onto a flash drive from the old computer and moved the flash drive to the "new" computer to copy and paste into the newly installed game but still have a problem. even saying to copy and paste the files over the existing files.  The CS for each CT coaster is fine, it's just the tracks that are giving me the issue....When I look in the game files for tracks/track rides I can see the CT coasters listed in the files...I also get an error message in ParkCleanUp about missing track sounds for some of the CT Coasters while trying to load old parks..even error on missing rides that are in the game and that I can place in other parks without the game crashing...I have copied/paste the Cars/Car Rides folder the same way as I've done for the Tracks files and also the Structures folder .  Also installed the "flat stations"  and have used them on some of the CT Coasters I have managed to place in the game...Actually the CT Coasters that I'm having most of the problems with are with your coasters Francecoaster.  Not all of them but some of them...  I do appreciate the suggestion Francecoaster and JB.....Going to uninstall the game and give it a try as you guys suggested when I'm to doing that....for now I think I'll just do what I can  to enjoy the game the way it's working...At 80 years old....getting too old to get too upset over a game even though I do enjoy playing around with it...LOL
EDIT: Okay after some thought decided to copy the RCT3 Platinum folder from the old computer  as per JB's suggestion and move it to the new computer. Going to put it on flash drive then download it to the desktop on the new computer....Now my question, do I just move it in the Program Files in the new computer? Copy and paste it to the folders in a new install of the game? Or can I just run the game with the CD in the drive of the new computer? As you can tell but the questions not computer savvy! Also, when  I uninstall the current game on the new computer should I also delete the RCT file in Documents on the new computer after saving a few newer parks and coasters made in the game on the new computer.....Sorry guys for all the questions....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 08:40 PM by warcat »