Summer '11 Trip Reports--SFOG

• 4 replies

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
Summer '11 Trip Reports--SFOG
« on: June 25, 2011, 11:52 AM »
Hellooo. I've been meaning to post my pictures of Six Flags over Georgia, and now that summer is here, I finally have the time. This thread will be used for my summer trip reports of theme parks I'll be going to. Here's a quick guide before we get started:

Six Flags over Georgia (Spring Break)
Cedar Point (July 4)
Kennywood (July 5)
Disneyland Paris (August)
Walt Disney Studios Paris (August)

Six Flags over Georgia

SFOG is probably the nicest Six Flags park there is. I really enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. The landscaping is beautiful and the whole park is built on a hill, making it visually interesting to walk through. All throughout the park were arched tunnels covered in vines. It was one of my favorite features. It really was a beautiful and well maintained park. We splurged on the platinum FlashPass which basically allowed you to reserve a ride on any ride you want with a iPod shuffle sized device. With the platinum FlashPass, however, you only had to wait a tenth of the normal wait time before entering the Flashpass line, so we literally could go on any ride we wanted whenever we wanted without waiting. It was pretty amazing. Additionally, we could ride the ride twice in a row without getting off with the platinum pass.

I loved how the entrance area felt like it was already in the park, with Goliath (the park's B&M hyper coaster) surrounding you, along with Georgia Scorcher (Yellow).

Georgia Scorcher was not that bad actually. I really tried to stand up the entire time on the ride like you should, since usually I just try to sit on the restraints, and it was actually somewhat enjoyable. Definitely the better stand-up coasters out there. It had a nice placement as well.

Goliath was the big roller coaster of the park, and one of my favorites as well. I loved Goliath, and if it wasn't for the amazing Mindbender, it would be my favorite coaster in the park. It has amazing air time, and I loved the way you weaved in and out of the park by hopping over paths and other attractions, before going over the entrance and actually out of the park. Opposite of the entrance plaza, the ride goes into an intense downward spiral. I blacked out to varying degrees every time at the bottam of it just before the next hill. I was honestly thankful for the trims there.

My fourth and last ride on Goliath was in the very back, right, so I was on the outside of the spiral. I can easily say it was one of the most intense moments on a roller coaster for me. Being on the outside, I had more distance to travel than if I was on the inside, so the G's pulling me in were incredible. On the final air time hills climbing back up the mountain, my cell phone began making its way out of my pocket and I caught it just before it came out of my seat. It was a very close call, and an insane ride.

The whole park was the third and final park built as an original "Six Flags." Therefore, the whole park carries the six flags theming, with different lands themed to the flag that flew over the state of Georgia. Of course, today that doesn't hold entirely true with a Gotham City themed area, but the park still had a nice rythme to it. I loved the entrance area architecture. The whole area was situated just under the main hill. You can really see how developed the parks landscaping is.

Next to Ninja, Cyclone was the most painful thing I've ever been on. Seriously, both rides were incredibly painful and deserve to burn down.

Mindbender was my favorite coaster in the park, and currently my favorite coaster I've been on. It is really the star of the park. The forces and laterals on that ride are crazy, and having only a lap-bar just makes it more crazy. The ride begins with an innocent drop with a very drawn-out pull out. This moment at the bottam of the hill before the loop is like magic. It's hard to explain exactly, but it's like all forces around you are gone and the rest of the world is the one moving, not you. Suddenly you enter the loop, an older design that really whips you around on the top. They don't make loops like that these days. You then procede to drop into the ravine in a tilted spiral filled with crazy laterals and transitions, before speeding over the pond into the final loop. This pull-out and loop proceed just as insane as the first, loosing no speed whatsoever since you're now about 30 feet under in a ravine from where you began. After the loop, you cut under a waterfall, through a tunnel, and break over the rest of Gotham City. There's nothing like it. The ravine section after the loop and before the breaks was pretty much impossible to picture from the park as it took place behind a curtain of trees inside a hollow.

Dare Devil Dive had yet to open, but it was very photogenic.

Those are all the pictures I really took that are post-able. I really wish I took more that captured the park's nooks and crannies with waterfalls and streams. There was so much in the park. Definitely my favorite Six Flags Park.

In addition to the roller coasters I discussed, there was also Great American Scream Machine (a better than Cyclone wooden coaster), Superman (a great flying coaster), and Batman (excellent as always). The park had a couple other smaller roller coasters, but I'd rather focus on the notable.

There's two other rides worth mentioning that I wish I pictured. Monster Mansion was an excellent dark ride that was recently renovated. It had a pretty catchy theme song as well. The ride was on the scale of Splash Mountain's indoor portion, just with no drops. My 3rd favorite attraction in the park was Acrophobia, a crazy drop tower. While not too tall, the ride cars tilted 15 degrees or so before dropping. You faced downwards through the entire way down, forced to stare directly at the oncoming cement...

Thanks for reading! I wish I took more pictures, but I'll remember that for next time. I hope you enjoyed.

Final Ride Count:
Goliath: 4
Mindbender: 4
Acrophobia: 4
Batman: 2
Superman: 2
Great American Scream Machine: 2
Mine Train: 2
Georgia Scorcher: 1
Will-E-Coyote's Canyon Blaster: 1
Ninja: 1
Monster Mansion: 1
Skyway:1
Wheelie: 1
Cyclone: 1
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:00 PM by TMH »

Offline Titan

• View Profile
Re: Summer '11 Trip Reports--SFOG
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 04:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing! I love Six Flags Over Georgia, I wish I could go this year though. I'm surprised that Six Flags has kept the theme pretty good. Knowing that's not their forte.

Offline Ranger

• rangerbook
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 01:10 PM »
I really enjoyed reading what you had to say about SFOG. It's one of the few Six Flags parks that I actually want to go to. You had some nice pictures also.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:14 AM »
Man you have quite a lineup of parks there... I hate you.

That looks like a beautiful SF park, while Magic Mountain is nice for the number of coasters, this one looks way more tolerable scenery wise.  Thanks for the report!
visit my professional website at http://www.shaynebock.com

Offline TMH

• Never look back darling, it distracts from the now
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 06:39 AM »
Thanks so much for the responses everyone! I'm leaving for the midwest in an hour of so, so I'll have those pictures hope within the next three weeks. :)