What's the roughest coaster you have been on?

• 174 replies

Offline Matthewtheman

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: What's the roughest coaster you have been on?
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2016, 05:13 AM »
For me, it'd have to be Untamed, a Eurofighter over at Canobie Lake Park in Salem, NH, mainly due to the fact that the ride has uncomfortable OTS restraints combined with the fact that it's really intense meant I was banging my head against the restraints a lot. It was still fun though, and I'd ride it again any day. It's my favorite ride at that park.

Offline MuffinJosh710

• I'm not paying that much!!!
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel!
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2016, 06:03 PM »
Georgia Cyclone.

You do not know how much I would second this
Signatures are overrated....

Offline Tijjer

• The shed is verbolten
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2016, 09:59 PM »
Not as rough as I think it is but I always find the turn right before hitting the brakes on Vortex KI hurts baaaaad.  I've learned though to keep your head forward to keep from hitting the restraints help somewhat but still.  I've also spoke to a co-worker who hates the double loop probably mostly because of how heavy the g-forces feel in-between the loops and at the top which is weird cause ain't the top of loops supposed to low in forces and its the entrance or exit thats heavy on forces?

Offline coasterdude67

• Wonderful World of Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2017, 08:35 AM »
"The Voyage" at Holiday World can be pretty rough. 
"It's always best to start at the beginning."
Visit "OZ" http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,19640.0.html
Check out my Carnival Blueprints: http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,19652.0.html

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 29, 2017, 08:05 PM »
In my rather limited experience:

Roughest Woodie: Mean Streak (cedar point).. I swear that that thing came close to crushing an organ or something. Excruciating pain occurred for me about 50% of the time. Super excited that it is being replaced.

Roughest Steel: Tied between Mantis (cedar point) & Steel Phantom (Kennywood). Both were crazy head rattlers.

Roughest in a good way: Thunderbolt (kennywood). This thing is rough, but in a good way! It smashes you up against your partner during the helixes in addition to the classic roughness that is to be expected on a 93 (& 49) year old coaster.

« Reply #155 on: March 06, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Woodie - The Beast
Steel - The Demon (SFGA)- needs to be replaced.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:43 PM by wowmanrct »

Offline Coaster Cinema

• Planet Coaster Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2018, 06:00 PM »
Wood - Wild Beast at Canada's Wonderland
Steel - Mind Eraser at Six Flags America

Offline Loundlim

• aka Julez Bernd
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2018, 04:17 PM »
There aren't too many rough coasters in europe probably because most are probably not as old as some american counterparts. (mainly arrows and the very old woodies)
However I think I have been on some at least not so smooth rides.

Bad roughness:

Wood:
"Colossos", Heide Park (Intamin Prefab, rides/rode like a SLC)

Steel:
Either "Limit" (Vekoma SLC), Heide Park; "Indiana Jones et le pemple du peril" (Intamin), Disneyland Paris or probably a random Pinfari fun fair coaster I barely remember

Good roughness:

Wood:
"Wodan" (GCI), Europa Park

Steel:
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (Vekoma), Disneyland Paris

Offline Chromin

• I mostly just lurk nowadays
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2018, 05:23 AM »
Either "Limit" (Vekoma SLC), Heide Park;

Interesting. I went on Limit about two years ago and it was actually alright. It definitely was kind of rough, but that goes for most SLC's (and other coasters) after a while. I enjoyed it and even went on it again. Condor at Walibi Holland (also a vekoma SLC) was much rougher in my experience, and apparently some SLC's are even worse than that. But I can agree that Wodan is a good kind of rough coaster ;)

As for my roughest coaster: not sure if it's worse than Condor, but EuroSat at the end of its lifetime was rough. First ride was in 2013 and it was fun but rough; I rode it again last summer and boy it did not age well, it was even rougher than I remembered and really not much fun. Not to forget it was hot and sunny, so the inside of the sphere was boiling (that didn't make it rougher, just less fun). It's a good thing that it's gone now and there's a new coaster coming.
Nothing to see here

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2018, 06:40 AM »
Timber Wolf from Worlds of Fun deserves a spot here. There are plenty of wooden coasters that ought to be more intense, but I've never been on anything that shook quite as much. It might be getting fixed this time, though.

The Voyage at Holiday World was rough enough at the end to mess me up afterwards, but it had reason to be.

Demon at Six Flags Great America I have no excuse for. I didn't know it was even possible to make restraints that hurt that much when you're tall, but Arrow found a way. And the old track doesn't help.

« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2018, 01:43 PM »
Colorado Adventure Phantasialand:

The seats are uncomfortable and the layout in relation to that is rough as well.
Dont misunderstand me: the Vekoma track is very smooth!

The ride is great fun and the layout is great. One of my favourites also because of capacity.
But its rough as fuck. If they would have the new GCI seats like Joris or BTM it would be perfect.
Spinaly painfull because of the seating height. I wonder why they dont selected other pads...

Offline TheMKGames

• I <3 MACK Rides
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2018, 07:40 PM »
Woodies- Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain, Indiana Beach, Monticello, Indiana- CCI's attempt at a compact mine train did not go well, I did ride 3-4 times, but after that last ride, I had such a headache I couldn't even ride *Cornball Express.
Steel- Tig'rr, Indiana Beach, Monticello, Indiana- The only Schwarzkopf Jet Star 1 left in America is rough, loud, and painful. I rode once, in the back, and that was enough. Luckily, it has a height requirement of 54 inches, so the young coaster enthusiast won't be traumatized.

* I did ride Cornball, though only once.
The duck says, "MACK!"

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2018, 05:19 PM »
Hmmm...   I've just returned from a trip to 6 Flags over Texas (in Arlington) and have some mixed reviews....

The original old Runaway Minetrain, which was one of my favorites when I was little oh so long ago, is really showing its age as of this past Saturday.  Rough, rough, rough.  Still drawing a crowd of kiddies but I really didn't enjoy it due to excessive jerkiness.  It should be thoroughly rejiggered in the coming off-season.  Interesting fact, though....  This thing is a hybrid, steel rails on wooden supports.  It gets credit for being ground-breaking in many areas but no mention of that one.

Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast:  I think it gave me a concussion from repeatedly slamming my head into the excessively tall backrest, which it totally doesn't need.  The track itself is smooth and the ride itself is fun, but every sudden change of speed, of which there are many, slams your head back into a very hard, non-squishy headrest.  Worst seat design ever.

Batman:  The Ride:  I rode this same B&M  masterpiece in the long-dead 6 Flags over New Orleans just before that park closed for the last time.  No complaints.  The clone at 6FoT is all fine until the final corkscrew, at which point it repeatedly slams your head side to side against the very hard, non-squishy over-the-shoulder restraints, in exactly the same way that hand-made rolls in Planet Coaster have jerks every 90^.  Seriously, I thought I'd been transported into a PC POV video.

None of this compares, however, to the complete disaster which is the Ragin' Cajun at Dixie Landin'/Blue Bayou in Baton Rouge.  This is a "classic" Arrow boomerang.  All of them, and their Vekoma cousins, are the antithesis of fun.  But the one at Dixie Landin' is the harshest I've ever met.  Iit's rather jerky being dragged backwards up the 1st hill.  Then the usual way-too-tight cobra and loop, necessarily small to be able to get through them given the relatively short lift.  But the worst part is how after that, instead of coasting a bit up the 2nd hill before the lift grabs you and pulls you to the top, you SLAM to a stop at the bottom of the 2nd lift from a speed high enough to have coasted half-way up it.  So you sit there for a while picking your incisors out of the lap bar, then get snatched by the 2nd lift and yanked, jerkily, upwards.  Then the backwards pass through the neck-breaking loop and cobra which are the signature elements of boomerangs.  Then you slam to a stop part-way up the 1st lift again and get jerkily lowered back to the station.  Never again.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline BEAMER3K

• B&M, Intamin & RMC
    • View Profile
    • NRG-FLO Gaming
« Reply #163 on: October 14, 2018, 10:18 PM »
MAGNUM XL-200. Fuck it to hell!
A piece of shit. 1 out of 10.
HEY!
I'm BEAMER3K, and that's also my PSN ID and XBL Gamertag.
I'm a designer/creator/artist/writer/metalhead/gamer.
:D

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2018, 05:47 AM »
But it's so great!

Definitely can get rough during the last section, though. Which is even more fun in a tunnel.

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2018, 05:55 AM »
In a bad way: Robin Hood in the Netherlands.
Coaster will be taken down this winter, its so old and rough :/

Offline BEAMER3K

• B&M, Intamin & RMC
    • View Profile
    • NRG-FLO Gaming
« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2018, 07:32 PM »
But it's so great!

Definitely can get rough during the last section, though. Which is even more fun in a tunnel.

Was great. Not anymore. I'm very wary when it comes to riding Arrow coasters, a lot of them are headbangers and nut-crushers, and generally painful. I'll take a B&M Hyper or Giga, an Intamin Hyper or Giga over any Arrow hyper coaster anyday!
HEY!
I'm BEAMER3K, and that's also my PSN ID and XBL Gamertag.
I'm a designer/creator/artist/writer/metalhead/gamer.
:D

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2018, 09:21 PM »
I rode it for the first time at the end of this June, so unless it went downhill fast ( :D ) we probably just have different taste in coasters.

Offline Airtimefan

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2019, 11:44 AM »
Probably Eurostar, the only traveling inverted coaster that ever existed and isn't operating anymore (sadly). It was my first looping coaster ever and for that I remember it fondly actually, but let me tell ya, if the block systems on the way to the lifthill shake the train more than some coasters do when they go full speed is already telling you something before you even went down the first drop.

If I'd go for coasters that still exist, it's Volare, a Zamperla Flying from Vienna. It isn't really shaky or anything but has really small turns that you should not underestimate.

Offline The Grey

• Professional Roller Coasterer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2019, 07:03 AM »
I don't think i need a long explanation.... The Boss.

I rode it the year it came out, amazing!!! The last time i rode it was 2016... It was horrible, just painful, just beating out screaming eagle, which was my first wooden coaster back in the late 90's, it wasn't smooth then, but it was not that rough....

Stl just doesn't take care of their coasters, it has to be human error. I lived in Tampa years ago and am back now, gwazi is in a worse environment as far as weather and sun baking the wood and both rides were far less bumpy and rough compared to eagle and boss (though gwazi was still considered almost too rough for riders... Let that sink in....)

(I'm talking about back in 2012 for gwazi, I'm pretty sure it's being torn down or being remade or something closing in 2015.... Didn't mean to imply it's still running today)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 07:09 AM by The Grey »
If it doesn't include either Roller coasters, Music or Hockey... count me out....

Offline Loundlim

• aka Julez Bernd
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2019, 02:13 PM »
The sad thing is that I really like the layout Boss has. Maybe a GCI retrack could help it because to be honest it is one of the few old woodies I don't want to be RMCd.
I live in Europe though so I probably wont ride it anytime soon anyway.

Offline The Grey

• Professional Roller Coasterer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 06, 2019, 11:21 AM »
The sad thing is that I really like the layout Boss has. Maybe a GCI retrack could help it because to be honest it is one of the few old woodies I don't want to be RMCd.
I live in Europe though so I probably wont ride it anytime soon anyway.

I was about to disagree with you, but looking back at Goliath, yes it was smooth.... but it is a steal coaster in my eyes.... I really do love old school woodies! We need to keep more around, even if they need to be retracked, they still deserve a spot in the great coaster wars!
If it doesn't include either Roller coasters, Music or Hockey... count me out....

Online cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 07, 2019, 09:57 AM »
For me I would say Gwazi. I rode it around 2005, I was young and oddly liked wooden coasters.

Offline planetthrilldude57

• Always on the move
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 15, 2019, 06:25 PM »
For me, the hurler at kings dominion. I remember that thing whipping my neck around pretty good. Luckily though they gave it the rmc treatment.

« Reply #174 on: June 20, 2019, 02:35 PM »
I lived in Tampa years ago and am back now, gwazi is in a worse environment as far as weather and sun baking the wood and both rides were far less bumpy and rough compared to eagle and boss (though gwazi was still considered almost too rough for riders... Let that sink in....)

The Boss certainly rough, but I would not put it anywhere near Gwazi. I rode it a few years before it closed. It was an absolutely painful experience and just about ruined the rest of our vacation for my dad. I was really sad for it as the layout is one of the better ones.

Stl just doesn't take care of their coasters, it has to be human error

Actually the opposite is true, SFStl probably takes some of the best care of their coasters, especially the wooden ones. In fact, The Boss has received quite a lot of re-tracking including in-house, and by RMC. Also the helix (which is probably the most notable roughest part) has since been removed. Somewhat unfortunate as it made the ride more unique and dropped it out of the list of the top 10 longest wood coasters.

What did Gwazi in was the trains. They operated PTC trains on it which are very heavy. Busch Gardens actually re-tracked all of the ride in 2009/2010. (They thought that would fix the problem.) But when it became rough again, they finally figured it was the trains and bought Millennium Flyers for it but by then it was too late as the track was already rough again. Busch didn't feel like putting more money into it and just let it run the rest of its life like that until close.

The Boss has a similar issue, the Gerstlauer trains are also very heavy. This results in the exact same issue as Gwazi with the track getting beat up. There is truly nothing the park can do about it beside re-track sections at a time which they have done and continue to do most ever Winter. The reason the park hasn't switched to Millennium Flyers is because due to the lightness, they wouldn't make it around the track. There are actually weight bags in the station for the current trains so they can run those empty. There have been talks about further re-profiling the ride so it can run Flyers but that is a huge cost. I do know they have the old Roar trains from Discovery Kingdom but those have been mostly parted out for American Thunder. (Which runs amazing to this day fyi.)

I think some people in general mistake roughness for laterals which both The Boss and Screamin' Eagle have. Screamin' Eagle is is amazing condition for its age and the park has treated it very well. Ultimately it sounds like the park is just short staffed in the maintenance department. I would highly encourage anyone here to check out the SFStl thread at TPR. There are quite a few employees in there and and you can find out a lot about the park. You don't have to sign-up or anything but check it out.

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park