RCT boards activity

• 34 replies

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
Re: RCT boards activity
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2018, 06:29 AM »
Looks like the return of the weekly ambassador is a good choice. It is returning in January! I agree Kiotho and I do like your perpsective.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2018, 06:32 PM »
Quote from kiotho: "Doing more as a community and not just individually is probably the key."

You may be right about that, but the problem is: What can we do to make the RCT community respond to anything Whether it's a contest or some sort of ongoing community project where anybody can contribute; getting people to participate or even just comment seems like a hurdle we can't get over. :-\

Thank you for posting that video (Abyssi: The Deep) kiotho. :) I sat in stunned silence as I watched the wonders of the ocean depths flow over me. The music also added greatly to the immersive atmosphere. Sadly, I don't think anything like that can be achieved in Planet Coaster as it exists now; perhaps someday. And I truly hope that day comes.

Offline kiotho

• Get Creative!
    • View Profile
    • Kiotho's Rctland
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2018, 02:34 AM »
@JB: Yes that's actually the thing I've been brainstorming about as well! I've come up with two things now:

1. A bit drastic perhaps, but what if we force people to log-in to the forums in order to see the topics? This can go up in two directions, but if you're logged in, perhaps you're more likely going to reply to a topic. I usually log-in only to reply and lurk on the forums without signing in too.

2. Maybe a point based system, a "featured portal/slideshow", showcasing must see projects directly from a page idk.

Now these are things that involve changing the website, so maybe we can also try it more from the community's perspective:

1. Like I said, contests are great, but first we need more active members. How about a community-park like N7 did with his garden contest?
There's this tool, called park-manager (I don't know the creators name but I think it was Matt) With this tool you can easily start co-op parks and you provide access to the park file at all times. Another thing we can do is build a community dark-ride, zoo,... in which everyone who want to, can put one or more rides. We can make a blank map with open slots and people can reserve a slot and build whatever they want to fill out the place (maybe based on a few themes, so it all fits together). In the end they send the park-file and/or film the part of the park and we use that as a promotional video for SGW?
There's a lot of communities but not many work together as a theme. Now this is a lot of work of course, but we can achieve the same with let's say a firework-show, a swimming pool, a zoo, a darkride (consisting of several scenes),...
This helps the commuity to stand out and show off we still live and if we mention the contributors, they get honorable mentions too :)
Do you want to check all my projects?Click

< Get Creative! All RCT3 Customs>

Offline RCT3Imagineer90

• Dark Ride Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • RCT3Imagineer - YouTube
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2018, 10:44 AM »
Well first off, I’m super flattered by the shout out.  I had no idea that my work made such a positive impact.  That really means a lot.  Also, kiotho, I had no idea you took requests.  Good to know....  B)

I know I’m definitely one of the more average builders when RCT3 was in the Golden Age and quite a bit of a lurker, but here’s my two cents on the matter.  As a builder, I’m currently feeling limited by both games at the moment.  Planet Coaster is a dream come true in terms of the building mechanics, but it’s so generic
 for me.  No custom scenery, no custom fireworks, no custom lasers.  It’s bit boring, because my projects have always relied so heavily on those components.  The only downside to RCT3 to me is how long it takes to build things with its older gameplay mechanics.  At the moment I’m straddling both games with projects.  There’s some projects that work best with Planet Coaster, and others I wouldn’t dream of using anything but RCT3.  I think SGW is definitely a place where both can exist. 

I think you all have made great suggestions and points in this thread.  From my perspective, I think the platform has changed.  A lot of RCT3 fans have more or less “grown up”, and for most of us in that timeline of simulation games, these forums were what we sought out to be part of a community.  The internet has shifted towards YouTube, and new theme park sim gamers were introduced to Planet Coaster through YouTube.  The following there is MASSIVE.  Planet Coaster channels have more views and subscribers than when RCT3 was at its height.  What I don’t think people realize is that there’s some wonderful forums where people can discuss projects in a truly collaborative setting.

I think the suggestions for the forum are great, and here’s my idea to get people back to it.  I’m working on spotlight of sorts for my YouTube channel to highlight what’s still going on in the RCT3 community, Planet Coaster as well.  I was planning on doing this before I saw this post actually. If I were to promote Shy Guys World through it and highlight this community’s output in particular, it could funnel some more dedicated gamers into the forum.  I think if we can prove RCT3 is still alive and well, it may create that spark needed to get the community for both RCT3 and Planet Coaster kicking.  Everyone loves a good video spotlight too.  If anyone has anything they want to show off, shoot me message.  YouTube is my preferred format, so I’d be delighted to work on this.

As community member, I think I’ll do more to post a bit more than I have been to at least get conversation going.  I’m out of school, so I definitely have more time on my hands.  :up:
Check out my YouTube Channel for roller coaster fun:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RCT3Imagineer90

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2018, 01:21 PM »
Well first off, I’m super flattered by the shout out.  I had no idea that my work made such a positive impact.  That really means a lot.  Also, kiotho, I had no idea you took requests.  Good to know....  B)

I know I’m definitely one of the more average builders when RCT3 was in the Golden Age and quite a bit of a lurker, but here’s my two cents on the matter.  As a builder, I’m currently feeling limited by both games at the moment.  Planet Coaster is a dream come true in terms of the building mechanics, but it’s so generic
 for me.  No custom scenery, no custom fireworks, no custom lasers.  It’s bit boring, because my projects have always relied so heavily on those components.  The only downside to RCT3 to me is how long it takes to build things with its older gameplay mechanics.  At the moment I’m straddling both games with projects.  There’s some projects that work best with Planet Coaster, and others I wouldn’t dream of using anything but RCT3.  I think SGW is definitely a place where both can exist. 

I think you all have made great suggestions and points in this thread.  From my perspective, I think the platform has changed.  A lot of RCT3 fans have more or less “grown up”, and for most of us in that timeline of simulation games, these forums were what we sought out to be part of a community.  The internet has shifted towards YouTube, and new theme park sim gamers were introduced to Planet Coaster through YouTube.  The following there is MASSIVE.  Planet Coaster channels have more views and subscribers than when RCT3 was at its height.  What I don’t think people realize is that there’s some wonderful forums where people can discuss projects in a truly collaborative setting.

I think the suggestions for the forum are great, and here’s my idea to get people back to it.  I’m working on spotlight of sorts for my YouTube channel to highlight what’s still going on in the RCT3 community, Planet Coaster as well.  I was planning on doing this before I saw this post actually. If I were to promote Shy Guys World through it and highlight this community’s output in particular, it could funnel some more dedicated gamers into the forum.  I think if we can prove RCT3 is still alive and well, it may create that spark needed to get the community for both RCT3 and Planet Coaster kicking.  Everyone loves a good video spotlight too.  If anyone has anything they want to show off, shoot me message.  YouTube is my preferred format, so I’d be delighted to work on this.

As community member, I think I’ll do more to post a bit more than I have been to at least get conversation going.  I’m out of school, so I definitely have more time on my hands.  :up:
I do like your proposals and should you need assistance definitely let me know. I have been rather quiet to try to get my grades up "Cs get degrees" is a statement I am currently supporting.