Palisade Park

• 242 replies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Palisade Park
« Reply #240 on: February 01, 2019, 06:00 PM »
OK, Lux, I FINALLY got a chance to give this monumental park a proper walkthrough....

First off, before getting into specifics, let me just say, "HOLY SHIT!!!"  It looks SOOO much better in person than in your pics :).  I each time I thought I'd seen the most magnificent thing ever, I turned a corner and there was something even better.  You have such a unique style here.  It looks like nothing else in the world, yet has recognizable bits still playing to certain universal themes.  It's like Louisiana cooking.  It's got the best elements from every culture ever to have been marooned here (which is just about all of them globally, poor bastards), all mixed together with some local produce and a twisted je ne sais quoi, plus a dash of voodoo.

2nd, about those buses I said were overlapped.  I figured that out.  You used animatronic instead of static buses  for the outer 2 in the row of 4, so when the park loaded they played their animation even though set to activate only on trigger.  As it's my habit and custom to pause the game as soon as the interface loads, I stopped them in mid-animation, at which point they were in strange positions.  But unpausing the game brought them to their proper place.

Now, on to specific points...

Things I especially liked:

*  SCENERY!!!!!!!  Your talent for building really cool stuff in general.  The integration of dirt and vegetation with buildings, your mastery of the far extremes of radial symmetry, your imaginative use of parts like windmill blades and the "Misc. Signs".
*  Favorite coasters in order of preference from ride experience:  Raju, Palisade Cyclone, Red Devil
*  That fountain made of scads of jester statues, so their hands linked---disturbingly cool :)
*  The numerous brilliant waterfalls, especially the one behind Palisade Hotel (and that hotel itself)
*  The use of the tall square spire for the roof of the hat shop, so it looks like a giant witch's hat.
*  The great scenery around Prospect Peak
*  That clifftop castle-ish thing at the top of the Valkyrie lift
*  That tangled windmill fountain
*  The ride scenery of the Palisade Funhouse
*  That carousel like a fancy cake

Things that could be tweaked

*  Most of the coasters have excessive Gs, often deliberately so due to outside banking of the turns.  I'm not a huge fan of that but if that's how you like them, then don't mind me ;)
*  The head clearance in the caves and tunnels for the dive coaster and canyon runner is often too little, resulting in real chopping of heads.
*  The Canyon Runner could do with a 2nd train.
*  The Palisade Funhouse has quite a few places on and near the station where the rafters intrude into the ride space from about waist level on up.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #241 on: February 01, 2019, 09:33 PM »
Very kind words, BH..... regarding the coasters...Canyon Runner actually does have 2 trains.......and the head clearance on Leviathan was set with the parameters of construction.......my guess is the latest update effed up some stuff in the park.....which is why Satans Hollow and Prospect Peak don't work as functional rides anymore. That said, I am very happy you enjoyed your time at Palisade Park. Next park.....Lillywhite Gardens will be showcased soon.
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 02, 2019, 06:13 AM »
Canyon Runner is the only coaster where the station's empty for a significant time.  Maybe it needs a 3rd train?

As to the tunnel clearance, I have the same sort of issue sometimes.  I normally have auto-tunnel turned off so when I do use it, I turn it right back off again.  So the tunnels start out OK, but if I then go back and smooth or otherwise change the track, the track moves relative to the existing tunnel, without the terrain changing to match.  For example, if I have a tunnel at the bottom of a big drop, smoothing that section of the track tends to raise the bottom of the dip, so the ceiling of the tunnel becomes too low.  It looks like that's the sort of thing that happened here.

I really enjoyed Satan's Hollow AND Prospect Peak.  Satan's Hollow especially, because it's such a different ride depending on the time of day.  At night, it's all scary and spooky.  In daylight, however, it's like a really twisted Tunnel of Love or Valentine's Day thing due to how the colors work.  I thought that was brilliant as I've had a lot of bad romantic experiences :).  But yeah, the timing of the triggers is off (especially the portcullis at the start of Satan's Hollow).  Unfortunately, that's the result of some strange design decision--trigger delays and durations are a function of FPS for some reason.  Thus, triggers you set up early in the park's development get thrown off as you continue to add to the park.  I've gotten to where I just don't do a lot of triggers anymore because of this.

I'll be revisiting Palisade Park for years to come, I'm sure.  There are so many good construction techniques to steal in there ;).  But I eagerly look forward to your next project.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page