= RCT HIGH SPEED RAIL = Three Years of Silence

• 242 replies

Offline Silver Swordsman

• I don't edit my pictures; see my profile for info.
    • View Profile
= RCT HIGH SPEED RAIL = Three Years of Silence
« on: August 18, 2011, 08:45 AM »
Brief Introduction:
The RCT-HSR Consortium is a private group consisting of individuals that aspire to push RCT3 beyond its normally imposed limits.  This goal is best described by our flagship project; to design and build a realistic, functional high speed rail system inside RCT3.  This is only possible through cooperation and collaboration, the multitude of components that constitute such a complex system simultaneously requires task specialization, interdisciplinary teamwork, and excruciating patience.  As the founder and director of the Consortium, it has been an amazing three years of exacting attention to details and constant revelations in breakthroughs. 

While the HSR project remains at our core, the Consortium also seeks to revolutionize other aspects of this community that are more relevant to average users.  For example, the Consortium believes that a presentation should be more than just an indulgence of facts—what you are about to read is anything but an indulgence in the facts.  It is a story, a journey within itself; an emotional roller-coaster ride, complete with the ups, downs, twists, turns and surprises that catch us off guard.

If you do find out the Surprise ahead of us, please do not spoil it with the rest of the community.  We have vested years of hard work into it, and we will be very sad/disappointed/furious if you do. 

It is my personal hope that the fruits of our labor will inspire the community to continue to innovate and contribute to the world that we know it, the wonderful world of RCT3.  Ladies and Gentlemen of the RCT3 Community: I present to you, the RCT-HSR Consortium.

To those that have wondered about the Surprise, my only advice is to look.  Look carefully.  Maybe you will find something hidden between the lines.

THE RCT HIGH SPEED RAIL PROJECT

Table of Contents:
Part One
Log 1: The Speech
Log 2: Obstacle Course
Log 3: Foundations
Log 4: TBA
Log 5: The Surprise

Part Two
TBA

Snippets
The Last Rays of Sunset
One Morning on the Job for an HSR Field Manager

Declassified Technology Memos
#1 – Advanced Isometrics Camera Tutorial
#2 – On the Topic of Glass and Transparency
#3 – On the Topic of Polygons and Indexing

~ Project Anniversary ~

For people who cannot watch the video, please see Vimeo link here.

Log I: The Speech

Today is the big day.  I readjusted my tie for the umpteenth time and picked out a stray hair that had missed the gel.  Already, the introduction given by Markus was drawing to a close, and the audience’s polite applause wafted clearly into the bathroom.  No matter.  I took out my handkerchief and wiped off the final drops of sweat that were forming persistently on my brow.  I opened the bathroom door, and walked through the hall into the auditorium.  Up the stairs I went, step by step, until I was completely in the spotlight.

The speech I gave had been rehearsed countless times in the shower, in the car, on mock stages, but nothing could prepare me for the tension that greeted me as the entire auditorium burst into thunderous applause. 

I waited meekly until the auditorium was silent again.  Even though I could not see into the impenetrable darkness, I could feel hundreds of eyes resting on me; or was it just psychological pressure?  The lights highlighted every square inch of my suit.  Red tie… check.  Collars tucked in… checkNo MOTHHOLES in my OVERCOATcheck.  My speech… Let’s roll.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I began…

What did I say to the audience?  Oh, not much.  I started on just some quick bio stuff on the RCT High Speed Rail Consortium, a little intro on the technologies we’ve developed over the years of testing, such as the breakthrough designs of the v6.0 and 6.0a viaduct prototypes. 

When it seemed that the audience was starting to bore out on the technical details, I knew it was time to pull out the candy.  Oh yes, candy.  I knew that most of my audience attended this meeting were not professional experts on high speed rail—to ramble on endlessly about technical details only master engineers would care about would be like trying to teach a kid who likes planes about jet engine fuel economy.  The candy… the candy… the candy.

I gave Markus, who was standing offstage, a look, and he nodded.  The presentation had been choreographed with precision.  At that instant moment the auditorium was flooded with laser lights.  Music began to play, and mist billowed from the sides of the stage.  Hydraulic doors opened. 

The audience Oooh’d and Ahh’d, and gradually, the auditorium filled with applause.  Candy indeed. 

“These 700T high speed trainsets were privately contracted,” I said slowly, “privately constructed and built according to custom requirements, these trains from TC-Heavy Industries are designed to run at 350 km/h and boast a new, comfortable way to travel.” 

There were excited murmurs from the crowd. 

“Today marks the beginning of a new era, ladies and gentlemen.  No more gridlocks, no more hour-long waits at the airport through security.  Think of it!  Less pollution, less congestion, more time, more space… a clean, convenient way to travel between cities in comfort and style.  Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you, RCT’s very own High Speed Rail!” 

Applause filled the air. 

“Now, are there any questions?”

Quote from: Unknown female
“Sir, when you say ‘less’ pollution, how much pollution are we reducing when we use these trains?”

“Well, ma’am, these trains run purely on electricity, so that means no diesel, no pollution whatsoever.  The only pollution that this train emits comes only from the power plant, but I can assure you that pales in comparison to any drive by car.  But that’s not all though.  These trains have a special way of braking that feeds electricity back into the grid, so while these trains need electricity to run, they also generate electricity as well.  So you see, ma’am, this system in itself is by far the cleanest and environmentally friendly way to travel!” 

Quote from: Unknown male
“I have a question, sir.  See, the freight trains pass right by my house.  I’m having a hard time sleeping at night because they blow their horns so damn much.  I want to know, since the high speed rail’s gonna be cuttin’ through our neighborhood, too, how much sound pollution will it cause?”

“Good sir, I am sorry for your loss of sleep at night, but I assure you that this new High Speed Rail project, once operational, should not be much of a bother.  You can sleep right next to it and be hardly disturbed.  For safety reasons, our High Speed Rail will utilize completely separated right of way—that means there won’t be any railroad crossings, and with that, the need to sound horns.  Furthermore, recent advances in track technology have also improved ways to reduce sound vibrations and noise.  Besides, a train travelling at 300 km/h technically should be completely out of earshot in five seconds—added together, it is my firm belief that you will hardly know it’s there.  Since we acknowledge that the railway will be travelling through residential areas, we intend to install sound walls that have been tested to reduce noise by over 40%.”

A few questions rolled here and there.  From the sidelines, Markus gestured to me and tapped at his watch. 

“Well, that’s all for today, ladies and gentlemen, I thank you personally for your interest in High Speed Rail, and we hope to see all of you again, soon.” 

Most of the audience consisted of train enthusiasts or general people who supported the notion of building high speed rail.  They were impressed, and applauded generously.  I breathed a sigh of relief, but knew that my day was far from over. 

Sitting in the front row were a dozen or so wizened old men with stern expressions on their faces.  I gulped, and unconsciously wiped a few beads of sweat that had formed on my brow off my forehead. 

“Interesting presentation you got there, Mr. William Li,” one said with a sarcastic smile as the last railfan left, “you almost got me convinced right there and then.”

“There are a few things we’d like to discuss at the moment.”
“There’re just a few questions that need to be answered.  Now.”

Oh God, I thought, Here comes the shredding. 
“What questions?” I tried to ask as innocently as I could.  It came out more like a squeak. 

“Oh, nothing much,” one snickered, “Just a question as to where all the money we invested went…”
“Did some of it go in there?” One of them pointed at my pockets.  “I saw that you recently bought a Lincoln, full payment too… and we all know that those are some pretty damn expensive cars.” 

I couldn’t help but flush crimson. 

“Good sir, everyone in the Consortium’s been pinching pennies recently—myself included.  Salary cuts, overtime, everything; so I’ll be damned if you think that I’m embezzling your money!” 

“But the proof, the proof, Mr. Li.  It’s been three years since we’ve signed the contract, and there’s nothing to see but this blasted train engine.  Are you telling me you spent $1.2 billion dollars on R&D?  If that’s so, that’s complete bull—”

“Mr. Leeson,” I retorted angrily, “All research and development on infrastructure, train and system technology was funded by Swordsman International and core Consortium companies.  The money that you’ve invested has gone into actual construction.”

“I haven’t seen any construction done anywhere near the proposed station in Beiyan.  What the hell’ya talking about?”

“We’ve decided to start construction in the mountains in the Alepas region first.  It is critical that initial construction be finished before winter sets in.  Once the snow starts falling, we can’t do anything there.”

“How much progress have you made?”

“We’ve finished around 43 kilometers and have begun some foundation work in some twenty other locations.” 

43 kilometers?!?” The eyes narrowed.  “We give you $1.2 billion dollars and all you’ve done is laid down 43 kilometers of track???”

“Gentlemen, gentlemen, building high speed rail is a lot more complicated than just laying tracks.  Do I have to show you how much effort the Consortium’s put into this project?”

“You’d better.  I’d like to know right now.”  The wrinkled mask of skin turned to the next wrinkled mask.
“You buyin’ all this crap?”
“Nope.  But let’s see.”
“Go on, Mr. Li.  We’re waiting to be impressed; and by God you’d better.

I sighed, and gave Markus a look.  He nodded and the screen behind me flashed on. 

“You see this, gentlemen?  This place, Alepas?  It’s a mountain range.  There are three active earthquake faults in the region, and we have to map everything carefully so that we cross over them just right.  Most of these mountains are high in iron content, so tunneling is extremely slow and expensive.  On top, you have a giant river valley nearly two fifty meters below.  We can’t touch the river, cause EPA would totally kill us if we did.  It’s protected, you see, so we had to build a single-span bridge over it.  Simply driving in the piles for the foundations took over three months.” 

“Gentlemen, if you must know, high speed rail averages $25-30 million per kilometer.  It’s not cheap at all, there’s ballastless slab track, 70 meter-deep multi-angular pilings to stabilize lateral drift, sensors for dozens of different subsystems wired along every meter of the whole line… we’ve got wi-fi routers, crash-detection wires, trespasser alarms, earthquake and land-shift sensors, mudslide and avalanche warning systems, and ATC critical failsafe subsystems, and each of them have been built to the highest industrial standards and have been tested rigorously on location. 

We’ve also got this…” 

I had one final trick up my sleeves.  I opened the door on the side of the stage. 
The men dressed in suits stiffly got up and followed me single-file into the room. 

“This is a maintenance depot.  Inspections and repairs are all done here.  We’ve got two other larger depots up north and a really big one down south.” 

The men clad in suits said nothing as they gaped at the wires and cranes, at the complex, multi-thousand dollar machinery that was strewn almost casually across the room, and at the trains. 

“Come inside,” I urged.  “Most people don’t get to see this.”  The men wearing black suits and ties said nothing as they slowly walked into the cabin.  The interior had been prepared for the very purpose of this demonstration.

“This is business class.  Try, try the seats.  Notice how comfortable they are. Plushy, eh?  There are earphone jacks in case you want to listen to music, and power outlets for your notebooks.  All this, along with the 43 kilometers of track built around Alepas Gorge, was built with your funds of $1.2 billion.  Rest assured, gentlemen, your investment has been put to good use.”

The group of dressed in black business suits looked at each other uneasily and shrugged.  In all likelihood, they probably didn’t understand a single word of what I just said, but I could tell they were satisfied and impressed.  At least Leeson was fingering the earphone jacks and power outlets thoughtfully.   

“Very well, Mr. Li, on Evalon’s behalf…” Mr. Leeson extended his hand, and I shook it.  He pulled me close.
“You’ve satisfied us this time,” he growled, “Don’t let this kind of stuff happen again.  Oh, and by the next time we meet, I want to see some progress on that empty lot across from the Evalon complex.” 

I nodded, and he released his grip as he and the other bankers and investors slowly filed out.  He turned. 
“By the way, Mr. Li, in the event that Evalon decides to continue funding, Evalon employees will get ticket discounts, won’t they?” 

“Of course, Mr. Leeson.” I assured him.

Markus was waiting in the corner. 
“How did it go?” he asked as we walked out towards the train station. 
“I don’t know.  We’re in hot water now.”
“Money-wise or public relation-wise?”
“Both.”

Markus was silent as the ticket vending machine “beep’d” and “boop’d” our train tickets.  Reclining into one of the platform seats, I closed my eyes irritably.
“I have an idea.”
“What’s that?”
“Your concern about public relations and money?”
“Uh-huh?”
“Put some advertisements up in places where a lot of people will see them.”
“No sh*t, Markus.”
“That’s not what I mean, William.  I mean, places where a lot of people go, but could benefit from us.  Like theme parks.”
“Your point?”
“Say, we strike a deal with other businesses, like bus stops, airports and theme parks.  We’ve got a station somewhere close, and since we’re going to build metro connections around to increase connectivity, how ‘bout we ask them now to place some ads for us and give us some cash, and in exchange we’ll build them a metro connection and provide reciprocal advertising when we come online?  Won’t cost us anything but some poster space and a bit more planning on the track routing…”

I paused.

“Markus, you smart sonovab**ch.” 

The train’s headlights twinkled as it neared the station, ready to take us home, and it was only until I slipped my hand into my pockets to find my ticket that I discovered my fly had been partially open the entire time.

Oh dear. 

William Li
CEO of Swordsman International
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 11:24 PM by Silver Swordsman »

Offline Sunfury

• Money can't buy you a dinosaur.
    • View Profile
Re: The Aussette High Speed Rail Project
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 09:18 AM »
This... This has got to be the most diverse project I've seen on here in a long time. Not only do you have a unique build, but the storyline was also immense and immersive. Excellent work man, totally keeping an eye on this one :-)
I iz in ur park, command all ur coasterz !!!

Offline RTRC

• Even rocks can break bones
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 09:23 AM »
Wow this is just so...different and perfected in every aspect. Your landscaping is awesome and the story was very entertaining to read. Its nice to see projects such as this. Using rct3 in a different way. Something that dosent involve roller coasters or theme parks. The construction scences are awesome and very realistic. This is one project im very looking forward to see the finshed result. :)

Offline SwissCheese77

• Late to the party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 09:39 AM »
Oh, you and your high speed rail. :P  It looks great, the terraforming and construction pictures are great and the story is really nicely done.  Can't wait for more updates! :)

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 05:47 AM »
Wauw amazing man :drool: Love trains and landscapes.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:11 AM »
Now this is cool man!

Offline Dutcher

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • View Profile
Re: The RCT High Speed Rail Project
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 02:43 AM »
I hope that shot in the bpt was a teaser for an update, cause I'm ready for it!
I can't believe how much time you must've placed in creating all those pieces for this wonderful project. The bridge looks brilliant and the train, well, it looks so smooth and beautiful. Well done!
Just an empty signature guys. Nothing to see here. Cary on.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 03:17 AM »
Wow.
this shows how much you can do with rct3.
Fantastic storytelling and its sth. diffrent!

Offline TheJustBacon

• Here I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 05:01 PM »
A fun read! Also, you have built very good tracks.
-----------------------------------------
If it isn't scary, it isn't gonna be good.

Offline andreizsmart

• 'supercoolsuper'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 07:58 PM »
Those bridges are absolutely amazing :'D
Initiating power transfer...

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 10:30 PM »
This is just stunning. The scope of this project is huge! I love how you are presenting this with a unique storyline and all sorts of scenes apart from the actual High Speed Rail. I hope more updates are on the way and that we can see some more landscapes that the railway passes through--and of course, more story!

Offline guitarob

• Walt Disney World Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 01:00 AM »
This... is just beyond anything I could even begin to conjure up.  :o  I can't wait to see more!
“Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens. Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.”

-Kahlil Gibran

guest4735

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 01:04 PM »
Great story line and great park, can't wait to see more.

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 12:53 PM »
Love everything about this project! What's the CS for the track and supports in the 7th picture? Also, what's the train CS\CTR in that picture too? Thanks! Again, good job!

Offline Weber

• It's not over till it's over.
    • View Profile
    • velvetskyemusic.com
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 12:24 AM »
Ok so I'm hooked!  So where does the story continue?  Can't wait to see more my friend.

Offline Silver Swordsman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 01:00 AM »
Wow... 14 replies?  Thank you all for all your support! 

I'm still working on official updates, don't worry guys.  I've been super busy these months.  In any case, here is a test shot from my Video Production class. 

Credits go to TycoonCoaster for designing the trains. 

Composited and color-corrected with After Effects.  Everything other than the person is RCT3. 

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:53 PM by Silver Swordsman »

Offline Dutcher

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 01:20 AM »
Well, it was about time. Nice editing there!
Just an empty signature guys. Nothing to see here. Cary on.

Offline toofpikk

• I am this forums noob.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 02:20 AM »
that was, pretty epic!
loving this!  ;)

Offline guitarob

• Walt Disney World Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 05:37 PM »
Wow dude!  That's just amazing.
“Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens. Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.”

-Kahlil Gibran

Offline Silver Swordsman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 05:35 AM »
Bump.

Teaser made by the great trainmaker himself, TycoonCoaster.  I shot and edited the clips for him, he stitched it together into a video. 

I'm still working on Chapter 2, so this isn't dead, I promise!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:22 AM by Silver Swordsman »

Offline toofpikk

• I am this forums noob.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 05:48 AM »
 :O
this is not a bump. this is a perfect example of magnificent works and passionate design in rct3. amazing ss. luck to you.

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 07:17 AM »
Absolutely incredible, what an achievement. It looks so real!!

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 09:33 AM »
That's just ridiculous.  I think at every time in every boy's life, they go through a "train" phase.  One of my favorite things ever is at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry; they have a giant model train set that takes up an entire floor of the museum.  I just sit and watch it for a good long while every time I go there, and I'm "all grown up"(ish).

This project just brings me right back to that time in my life: "OHHH!  Trains!"  They're done so magnificently that it's mind boggling that this was done in RCT3.  You (and your team(?)) are one of the definitive projects that make this game so interesting.  Sure, I love me some theme parks, but it's when ideas like this are executed so perfectly that I say, "wow."

"Wow."

Offline Tomes

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 10:40 PM »
^I loved trains when I was little too, never missed an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine.

This project goes beyond the games.  It is completely different than anything else on the forums.  Your graphics are unbelievable and I still cannot believe you don't edit your photos.

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 03:20 AM »
THIS IS AMAZING!!!  :drool:  :drool:

Offline Krypt

• Death's Sidekick
    • View Profile
    • Krypt's Galaxy
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 12:28 AM »
Not gonna lie, when I was little, I actually was obssessed with trains. Even bought video tapes about them (back when we actually used VCR's lol). This just kinda brought me back to my childhood.

This is just epic. I love it. :)
Website back online!
http://krypt.weebly.com/

"No Limits tracks. Lagging your computers one NL custom track at a time!"

Offline toofpikk

• I am this forums noob.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 07:40 AM »
Not gonna lie, when I was little, I actually was obssessed with trains. Even bought video tapes about them (back when we actually used VCR's lol). This just kinda brought me back to my childhood.

This is just epic. I love it. :)

i think you just explained every little boys favorite things when they were young very neatly krypt
too right bro!

Offline Silver Swordsman

• View Profile
The RCT High Speed Rail Project - [PICTURES: The Last Rays of Sunset]
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 07:53 PM »
I usually try to keep stuff from China Railway High Speed out of this thread, but I felt that this was too good to pass up, as an acquaintance working for CRH snapped quite a few pictures detailing work there. 

The Last Rays of Sunset
An Inside Look

A inspection crew is dispatched to inspect the track every day to check the various components of the delicate high speed tracks.  This is to ensure safety and to make sure the train runs smoothly the next day.  Checks are done in the last hours of daylight to heighten visibility without affecting the majority of mainline traffic.  They often make small repairs during their rounds (i.e. checking the tension on the catenary, resetting any power box misconfigurations), but if the crew finds anything seriously wrong, maintenance crews with professional equipment are called in and will work overnight to fix it.  The next morning, before the first train runs again, the inspection crew will return for a final check and signals the all-clear for that day's operation.

Two track inspectors check the track for any deformities or components that may have come loose during the day's operation.  Most of the high speed railway is walled off to deter trespassers; only authorized personnel, such as inspection crews, have access to the track. 

An electrical engineer inspects the catenary wiring as one of the day's last passenger-carrying trains whizzes by.  Trains usually decelerate to around 270 - 230 km/h in areas under track inspection or minor maintenance to reduce danger to trackside workers.

Inspection crews usually work in pairs, to minimize human error and to have someone to watch your back.  The first thing that crews are required to check is their walkie-talkies; their lives depend on it in the event of an accident.  CRH-issued transmitters have a built-in fail-safe that turns nearby railway signals to red in the event that it loses communications with control. 

Inspection crews are highly paid due to the danger of their work.  Workers
rarely step on the tracks, opting instead to maintain a safe distance away from the track unless absolutely necessary.  Although crews don special non-conductive suits designed to protect wearers from the 25 kV AC voltage, nothing can save a person from a train travelling at 300 km/h. 

Their job done, the inspection team watches the last train of the day pass below them.  Tomorrow, they will be here again at 5:30 am to make sure that everything is alright before signalling the all-clear for the next day's operation.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:24 AM by Silver Swordsman »

Offline FlyingDutchman7

• FD7 Amusement
    • View Profile
Re: The RCT High Speed Rail Project - [PICTURES: The Last Rays of Sunset]
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 01:10 AM »
I love this project: it just feels like another game! Oh, those pictures!

Offline Markus Lomberg

• Programmer of CTR_Creator; PEP-team member
    • View Profile
    • RCT-3.org
Re: The RCT High Speed Rail Project - [PICTURES: The Last Rays of Sunset]
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 02:18 AM »
Big compliments to you and the team in the background! :up:

I am really surprised that someone uses RCT3 as a train simulator tool 8|. And I would never have imagined that trains instead of coaster cars are made with CTR_Creator. Truly innovative! :w00t: Keep up the great work.