A A A A Author Topic: Tauber-Park 2011: A Farewell (and a little surprise)  (Read 5689 times)

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Tauber-Park 2011: A Farewell (and a little surprise)
Post #1     : March 29, 2013, 11:32 AM
Frankfurt, 29 September 1992
Christine Metzger

Trimontis Germany
6000 Frankfurt
GERMANY

To:
Trimontis International Headquarters
c/o Frank Bortens

Maple Road 100
2480 Blue Valley
ENGMANY

Dear friends and colleagues,
as agreed on the telephone with Ms. Johnson yesterday, I'm sending you more information about this park that I told her about.
In my responsibility to expand our park group here in Germany, I finally have good news for you, as I found a family-owned park for sale. I copied the advert and attached it to this letter.
The park in question is located in Tauberscheckenbach, which belongs to the municipal of Adelshofen, in the north west of Bavaria. The location is right on the border to the state Baden-Württemberg, and not far away from Rothenburg ob der Tauber, which is a popular destination for tourists from the USA and Japan.
The exact coordinates are:

49°26'31"N
10°8'44"E

The park's name is Tauber-Park - which refers to the close river "Tauber". As much as I know, it opened in 1975 and has been closed since the latest spring.
In my attachment, you can see the advert of the sale, and an old postcard from the 1970s that I stumbled over by accident.
I will try my best to get more information and material. If the object is not of any interest from your side, please call me, I should be available in my office in Frankfurt every day from 10 to 6, though sometimes I am in the office at Festival Park.
I have already written to Mr. Müller, owner and director of Tauber-Park, and asked him to send us more information.
If you are interested in a purchase - with or without more information material - I can make an appointment for a visit, so we can go and inspect the park together. Maybe this would be the ideal opportunity to have a second theme park in Germany, after Festival-Park.
Say a nice hello to Theodor from me and give him my congratulations for Maharaja Mine. Three Mountains Park is growing quickly lately!

Best regards,
Christine Metzger
Expansion Agent of Trimontis Germany

more soon :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 08:26 AM by Elch »

Berlin87

•  
  • :
  • Mr. Austyn
Re: Tauber-Park - The Teaser
Post #2     : March 29, 2013, 11:41 AM
More teasers!
Mr. Austyn: CEO of The Austyn-Landmark Group

CGI144

•  
  • :
  • Back up your creations or suffer the consequences
Post #3     : March 29, 2013, 03:18 PM
Looking good Elch! I like it.

Elizabeth

•  
  • :
  • shyguy's World Rocks!
Post #4     : March 30, 2013, 09:22 PM
Great job on the postcard, Elch. I'm sure Tauber Park will be a winner!

switchkeys

•  
  • :
Post #5     : March 31, 2013, 11:38 AM
nice teaser :) cant wait for more

Magu

•  
  • :
Post #6     : April 05, 2013, 12:54 AM
The teasers looking promising! And YAY(!) a german amusement park! I definetly want to see more of it! ;)

meeko120103

•  
  • :
  • Never eat yellow snow!
Post #7     : April 07, 2013, 01:19 AM
 :love:
The postcard is a work of art!
I see the boat ride is on a canal; I never thought of that for my parks! Thank you for this nice idea  B)

And as said Magu: a german amusement park!
Let's do it!  :up:
The Past is History, the Future is a Mystery, but Today is a Gift: That's why it's called PRESENT!

TRIPSDRILL: http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,12759.0.html
ATLANTIS IN THE SANDS: http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,15354.0.html

Mr.Chris

•  
  • :
  • #TeamJelloWater
Post #8     : April 07, 2013, 07:51 AM
Frankfurt, 29 September 1992
Christine Metzger

Trimontis Germany
6000 Frankfurt
GERMANY

To:
Trimontis International Headquarters
c/o Frank Bortens

Maple Road 100
2480 Blue Valley
ENGMANY

Hehehehehehehe :D
-Mr.Chris

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Tauber-Park - 1992: The first contact
Post #9     : April 25, 2013, 03:52 PM
Thank you very much, everyone :) I'm happy this new project of mine can finally take some more steps in the near future.. let's begin!

-------

Frankfurt, 10 October 1992
[…]

Dear Frank, dear colleagues,

Glad you are interested in this park! I'm sorry for the delay, but now I have some very good news.
I finally got a reply from Mr. Müller, owner and director of Tauber-Park.

He invites us for a meeting and an inspection of the park, and suggests the 25th of October.
If that's OK for you, I will call him and it's our day at the park then.
At the moment, it looks like the Müller family can't run the park anymore, for financial and personal reasons.

Mr. Müller also sent me a current park map, an old aerial shot from the late 1970s and - how cute - a photo of him and his family. I guess this is to show the strong emotional bonding of the family with the park. The park is a big part of the family members' identity, after all.

On the photo, you see from left to right:

Winfried Müller - Landscape Architect, founder of the park. Father of Manfred Müller.
Stefanie Müller - daughter of Manfred and Helga.
Manfred Müller - Current owner and director of the park.
Florian Müller - son of Manfred and Helga.
Helga Müller - married to Manfred, previously running the food & beverages department.

The photo - Manfred told me this on the phone - was taken a few weeks before the park opened, back in 1975. The founder of the park, Winfried Müller, didn't get to experience the opened park anymore, as he passed away just a week before the grand opening.
The family ran the park as long as they could, in memory of their dad and grandfather. But now, they just can't keep the business running.

I don't know about you, but I have a quite good impression of the park so far.
Give me a short call, then I can response to Manfred's invitation.

Best regards,
Christine Metzger
Expansion Agent of Trimontis Germany

P.S.: The park map is in German - I put an English translation further down.

01 Entrance
02 Tickets
03 Parking
04 Souvenirs
05 Park Restaurant
06 Minigolf
07 Ghost Castle
08 Fairytale Forest
09 Oldtimers
10 Merry Go Round
11 Channel Cruise
12 Ferris Wheel
13 Wave Swinger
14 Log Flume Snack
15 Log Flume
16 Chairlift
17 Mountain Restaurant
18 Cinema 180
19 Troika
20 "Super Looper" (Schwarzkopf Looping Star)
21 Arcades
22 Dolphinarium
23 "Gondoletta" boat ride
24 Lake Restaurant
25 "Wavestormer" (Pirate Ship)

Tauber-Park 1979

Elizabeth

•  
  • :
  • shyguy's World Rocks!
Re: Tauber-Park - 1992: The first contact
Post #10     : April 25, 2013, 06:02 PM
That's some park! So nicely laid out, and with something for everyone. Just looking at the map and list of attractions I can tell this is a park I would love to visit.

switchkeys

•  
  • :
Post #11     : April 26, 2013, 05:23 AM
very nice :) perfect family park :)

Magu

•  
  • :
Post #12     : April 26, 2013, 09:50 AM
That looks not only "very german" ...it looks very realistic, too!  :up: I really like a new update of this unique park-project. The story is good and the shots (especially the overview with the nice layout and the terraforming) are very promissing! I really want to see more of it!

Greetings from "Sauerkrautland";)

WDWImagine

•  
  • :
Post #13     : April 26, 2013, 10:44 PM
Greta job! Very realistic!

zeroG

•  
  • :
Post #14     : April 27, 2013, 03:49 AM
WOW!
The map looks very impressing!The whole layout of the park is great.Espacially how it flows into the lake at the end.The log fume is very nice too. Lovley layout. Everything is realistic and it looks like you had a good concept and ideas in mind.
The 70´s shot is beautiful and really make me feel nostalgic. And a great contrast to the 90´s park layout.
Hope there will be more soon.

greetz
zeroG
FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW YOU

meeko120103

•  
  • :
  • Never eat yellow snow!
Post #15     : April 27, 2013, 02:19 PM
Oh, that's wonderful: A perfect 70s feeling of a natural grown park!
The restaurant at the lake brings back souvenirs of weekends with my parents  :)

Thank you for this little marvel!
The Past is History, the Future is a Mystery, but Today is a Gift: That's why it's called PRESENT!

Wanderer

•  
  • :
  • I love Steamtrains!
Post #16     : April 27, 2013, 03:32 PM
A new park from you, yess!
I will like the other park, follow this blindly, perfect atmosphere, and good layout like ZeroG said, looking forward how this will grow!  :)
Hello lads, have a nice day!

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Post #17     : April 29, 2013, 11:56 AM
Thanks everyone! :)
It makes me happy, that the park is giving you memories and feelings, that's very nice to hear.

I just want to let you know, that this project won't be updated very frequently, but I better give a few weeks for each update and take care that it's as I want it to be, than to rush things too much.
You *can* expect more, there's a lot more in the planning, the next update will be a big one, but it might take a while :(

Hoping for your patience and that you'll check back then :)

meeko120103

•  
  • :
  • Never eat yellow snow!
Post #18     : April 29, 2013, 12:03 PM
Don't worry.
I think most people in this forum prefer quality over quantity. Less is more (and good!) :up:

Grrt

•  
  • :
  • Where's the kaboom?
Post #19     : April 29, 2013, 01:04 PM
I really enjoy that first shot! It has a certain depth to it. It's very believable. Not quite sure how you've accomplished it.

Berlin87

•  
  • :
  • Mr. Austyn
Post #20     : April 30, 2013, 03:48 AM
Very realistic! :o
Mr. Austyn: CEO of The Austyn-Landmark Group

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Tauber-Park - 1992: The visit
Post #22     : June 11, 2013, 07:37 AM
Thank you guys... it's been a while!

With lots of stress around my private life lately, I am not fully back into my normal mode yet, but take the bit of time to have this update for Tauber-Park. It will probably be a bit until I can get back to it again, but that much I have for now!

----
[author's note: Christine Metzger, leader of Trimontis Germany, went to Tauber-Park for an inspection. The director of Trimontis, Frank Bortens, had private commitments, so he sent his deputy, Tom Forster, to visit the park together with Christine.]
----

Frankfurt, 28 October 1992
[…]

Dear Frank,

here is my report from the inspection of Tauber-Park. I included a lot of photos and even a short video that Tom has shot, hence the parcel.

It's really a shame that you couldn't have been with us at Tauber-Park, but I know you had private commitments that clearly were more important than this. I hope everything is going fine now!

On Sunday morning, Tom and I left the hotel in Frankfurt quite early, and drove all the way to Adelshofen by car. After a long trip through the rainy countryside, wondering how the crowds would be able to find this place in the middle of nowhere, we finally found the way, arrived at the office building at the entrance, and parked on the staff car park around 10:45.

Manfred Müller welcomed us very warmly and accompanied us into the building.

The reception desk was empty, seems like all the staff left their job a while ago. We were then taken to the meeting room for first consutations.

Here's Tom walking around like he always does when he's very excited.

We learned that the park is closed since early May. That was when the Müller family came to the conclusion that they don't have the money anymore to run the park. Money was already short since the mid 1980s, after they were forced to invest a lot to the park in order to keep it up with the competitors in Germany. But now there's not only no money for new investment left, there's also not even money to keep the existing rides and buildings sustained, and the staff paid their loans.

Once again, Manfred Müller talked about his father Winfried, who founded the park and suffered from a heart attack before the park could open the doors back in 1975, and he talked about the way how the whole family is emotionally bound to the park. But they have to face the facts now and leave it for new owners.

Manfred had tears in his eyes saying that.

We first waited until the rain would stop, but there was no chance this would be the case.. so we got our umbrellas and finally were guided through the empty park.

The entrance area:

The overgrown minigolf:

The plain ugly "Event Building":

Around half past 11, we were walking around the entrance area, saw the totally overgrown Minigolf course, the uglyness of the event house, some relicts from the 70s. We couldn't ride the ghost ride because it was defunct, but at least we could walk on the track to inspect it. It was in a very bad condition. No photos there, unfortunately.

Now the oldtimers and the merry-go-round looked ok, but lost a bit of their old shine. The water in the boat ride and log flume was dirty, the latter was also nearly falling apart, the ferris wheel was rusty and - after the big storm in 1991 - having trees stuck in its wheel (!) The station was totally overgrown.

Merry Go Round:

Oldtimers track with the lift station in the background:

Log flume:

Ferris wheel:

After nearly an hour, we arrived at the only roller coaster in the park. It was only a shadow of its former self. Rusty, parts missing, the train was just hanging around:

The Lake Restaurant even lacked some walls. Ever since the storm, chairs were laying around in the water, in bushes, everywhere.

All in all, the park was in a very sad state, and the weather was doing its own part to make the park seem as unattractive as possible. But in our experience, we felt, that this park had something special that's worth to rescue. Unlike all our other parks, this park is nicely integrated into a lovely landscape. This won't ever be a big park, but we do think that it can become one of the 10 biggest parks in Germany.

So shortly before 1, we sat in the only functioning ride - the lift to the mountain restaurant.

While we sat in the lift, Tom and I had some short time for ourselves to discuss the situation. We agreed, that the park is in a very bad state, but overall has a lot of potential. Tom began to fantasize about what ride he would build where, etc... you know him. Anyway, we both thought we'd suggest you to purchase Tauber-Park, as they are selling it for a ridiculously low price:

3,500,000 Deutsche Mark

With our experience in renewing parks, we can make this, and we can make it very well.
Both, Tom and I, herewith give you our recommendation to buy Tauber-Park.

After a short ride, we reached the top station...

... and the panorama terrace, where we had a gorgeous view over the valley and its park:

Around 13:00 we had lunch in the Berg-Restaurant, which was especially heated and very well run for us. It seems, they spent some money for our visit after all, and they put it all on this. Then they got a Super 8 advertisement film out that they had prepared in the early 1980s (though the material was never actually used), and showed it to us projected on a screen, while we enjoyed our Schnitzel with the view over the rain-swept valley.
Tom was allowed to film the whole time, so you see it all in the video tape we added to the package. He just filmed the ride on the lift and the film shown to us in the restaurant, but it should be enough to judge the potential of the park:

This experience in the restaurant made us even more confident in our recommendation, as you can clearly see what a potential this place indeed has. We just need to invest in new rides that attract people back to the traditional park.
Also, I would suggest not to change a lot of things. We should leave the park recognizable for the locals. In the last full season, 1990 (1991 had only reduced opening times), a total of 60.000 visitors came to the park. We strongly believe we can attract 10 times as many people, not in 1993, but surely towards the end of the decade.

Sadly you can't come see the park for yourself, but you know you can trust us.
Give us a call, then we can chat about everything on the phone. 

Personally, I hope we will buy this little gem. Tauber-Park should be a Trimontis Park.
Talk to you soon,

Christine Metzger

Magu

•  
  • :
Re: Tauber-Park - 1992: The visit
Post #23     : June 11, 2013, 10:23 AM
A really great presentation of an update with depressing pictures of an amazing, wonderfull park! The video was nice. Especially the second half! It shows the beauty of the areas and how nice the park is layed out! I hope you get your time and mood to work on it again!  :up:

Mr Pandastic

•  
  • :
  • Mr Pandastic is here to save you!
Re: Tauber-Park - 1992: The visit
Post #24     : June 11, 2013, 10:42 AM
That presentation man, it was amazing to watch! Looking forward to more

Elch

•  
  • :
  • Berlin, Germany
Tauber-Park - Sold to Trimontis
Post #25     : June 13, 2013, 11:35 AM
Blue Valley, 5 December 1992

Dear Christine,

I am pleased to let you know, that we have bought Tauber-Park in Germany. We are in continued good contact with the Müller family. Thank you very much for introducing us into this deal!
Wolfgang Hinzbecker, previously head of the park's expansion department, has been appointed as new park director.

The park is planning to re-open on Sunday, 28 of March. We'd like you to attend the grand reopening, and we hope for a lot of photos!
I am convinced, that we can lead the park into a new golden era.
Mr. Hinzbecker will get back to you later, to reveal more detailed plans for the future of Tauber-Park. The rebuilding of certain parts has already begun.

First of all, we already now have a Trimontis sign at the gate of the office building.

As said, Mr. Hinzbecker will tell you more details soon.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas,
Tom Forster

Magu

•  
  • :
Re: Tauber-Park - Sold to Trimontis
Post #26     : June 14, 2013, 11:08 AM
FINALLY!  :mad:up:
Glad this park was sold to a great company and will be survive!  :mad:up:

I´m looking forward to the reopening and i´m happy there will be a new golden era. Because of one matter: This park is beautiful!  :up:  :up:  :up:

meeko120103

•  
  • :
  • Never eat yellow snow!
Post #27     : June 15, 2013, 12:35 PM
There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow...

Can't wait for an update for this park.

BTW: The mood in the "down" shots is very well executed  :up:

Elizabeth

•  
  • :
  • shyguy's World Rocks!
Post #28     : June 15, 2013, 07:07 PM
I loved the video presentation! The part where you showed old film footage of the park was brilliant. :up:

SupremeBordeaux

•  
  • :
  • Theme Park Studio
Post #29     : June 16, 2013, 07:38 AM
Wow Elch! Your back with another fantastic park :w00t:

Oblividoom

•  
  • :
  • shyguy's World Rocks!
Post #30     : June 16, 2013, 07:57 AM
This is a great park. Very real and lots of interesting takes on traditional rides. I particularly like the attention to detail on the log flume with the covers. Nice work!
Lands of Discovery - New Summer Project 2013
http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,13699.0.html