Lakeside Amusement Park - by TheSweeney (Update! 12/22)

• 12 replies
Lakeside Amusement Park - by TheSweeney (Update! 12/22)
« on: December 12, 2016, 04:24 AM »
Hey guys! It's been awhile since I last visited this community and shared what I've been working on. Many of you may remember me as darkGDI from back in my Southern Plains Amusement Park days. I was always super disappointed with the life situations that got in the way of me continuing that park, not to mention the technical problems that ensued. In the years since, I fell out of RCT3 and even more out of the community. I've popped in from time to time, but for the most part I've moved on. But Planet Coaster reignited my love of this genre and my desire to build something beautiful. So, after a few days of work and daydreaming, I've begun to piece together my next project: Lakeside Amusement Park.

It's still early days - I'm still developing much of the park's foundation. But I wanted to give you guys a peek into what I'm working on. So, without further delay, here is a quick look at the park's signature thrill ride: Corkscrew! (Click on images for full-res Imgur upload)

I tried my best to model the layout of the coaster after the old Python coaster from Busch Garden's Tampa, and did pretty well up until after the corkscrews, but I'm really pleased with how this coaster turned out. It's not as fast as it could be (but I didn't want to make it much taller) and the in-game stats are rather meh, but I think the coaster looks fantastic.

So, there it is. My return to this community begins with a sneak peek at a park I've been pouring hours into - both in-game actually building it and IRL, dreaming up a story and design that I think you guys are going to enjoy.

I don't have a firm idea when I'll be posting the next update, but I will be posting some preview screenshots over the next week or so as other elements of the park fall into place. Once I've finished with the foundations of this park, then the real adventure begins. I'm excited to be back, and I hope you guys will once again give me the awesome feedback and support that I counted on back in the SPAP days!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 12:43 AM by TheSweeney »

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Lakeside Amusement Park - by TheSweeney
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 04:41 AM »
Well the Coaster looks sweet, small and compact. But the Queline, for my thinking is waaaay too long. you can half the lenght i think.
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 02:11 PM »
Well the Coaster looks sweet, small and compact. But the Queline, for my thinking is waaaay too long. you can half the lenght i think.

Thanks Jay! Glad you like the coaster. Worked a lot longer on it than I ever worked on coasters in RCT3 and I think it really paid off. As for the queue length, I'm trying to strike a balance in this park that I'm finding rather difficult. I want queue lines that are realistic in length but at the same time don't look absurdly long in-game. I'm still tweaking the queue layout for all the rides in the park, so thanks for the suggestion! :D

I might be posting a few more pictures later this evening - gonna aim for a little bit earlier than 6am (lol). Looking forward to getting more feedback from you guys.

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 08:14 PM »
Hey guys! I spent some more time working on the park today. Most of my work focused on the Corkscrew area and a restroom building blueprint that I can use around the park for standalone restrooms. This will probably be the last update for a few days (more details after images), so I managed to make it a slightly bigger post than originally intended.

So, on to the pics! (Click on images for full-res Imgur uploads.)

/\ More work on the Corkscrew area includes new signage. I've also redesigned the station building and queue, which you'll see in a new overview image.

/\ This is a restroom blueprint that's mostly done. While most restrooms in this park will likely be located in or near food service buildings, there will be a few restrooms that are standalone buildings. This is that building.

Of course, as many of you may remember from Southern Plains, I do love me some night shots. So I worked on the lighting in the area and here you go.

/\ I built a custom brick fence that includes lights that I've been copying all around the park. I'm still not sure whether to keep the number of lights as is or reduce them to every other column.

I absolutely love Planet Coaster's lighting engine, and while I'm still getting used to it, I think the results so far are stunning.

A couple more pictures to round out this update:

/\ New overview of Corkscrew shows off the new station building.

/\ I built a few custom "Forest" blueprints that I then copied all over the empty space in the park. I still need to do some detailing around the lake and extend the brick fence around the path that circles it, but I like nature shots like these.

So, that's all for today. I work the next couple of days so I may not post any more updates, and Rogue One will have me thoroughly occupied Thursday night. But I'll hopefully be able to spend a little bit of time over the next couple of days to get something together for Friday - and I'll post anything that I think is ready before hand.

I'm really loving this park so far, even if I've only spent 7 or 8 hours building and detailing one ride.

Can't wait to see what you guys think. As always, until next time!

Offline mb1.0.2

• Keepin' it Classy
    • View Profile
Re: Lakeside Amusement Park - by TheSweeney (Update! 12/12)
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 08:17 PM »
Looks good so far. I'd say go one light every other post, or maybe even 1 every 3. Looks a bit much right now. :)

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 11:15 PM »
yeah the ne shots looks cool, but as mb says, somethimes is less more :p i like the restroom building simple and clean hehehe :)

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 11:29 PM »
Looks good so far. I'd say go one light every other post, or maybe even 1 every 3. Looks a bit much right now. :)

Thanks mb. Loving your series with n7 btw. That entrance looks fantastic! I agree with you on the lights too. The more I look at it, the more I think there are too many lights. However, the radius of the lights in-game isn't quite as large as I want so I'm going to play around with the spacing a bit. That will be reflected in the next update.

yeah the ne shots looks cool, but as mb says, somethimes is less more :p i like the restroom building simple and clean hehehe :)

Thanks Jay! Glad you like the restroom. And as I said above, I agree with you and mb about the lights. Hopefully it'll look a bit better in the next update.

Again, I've got work the next couple of days and Rogue One taking up my time Thursday night, but I'm gonna have a few hours here and there to work on the park more. Hopefully I'll be able to post something earlier than Friday, but I'm aiming for a Friday update as of right now! Thanks guys.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 12:19 PM »
Hi TheSweeney. Welcome back.
Nice start so far. i look forward to seeing this progress.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 04:58 PM »
Hi TheSweeney. Welcome back.
Nice start so far. i look forward to seeing this progress.

Thank's Shy!

Hey guys! I promised I would have an update tonight and I do (of sorts). I decided when I loaded up PC today to move away from Corkscrew and start on something else. Obviously I've done a lot of work on that coaster so far in this project, and while it still has some work left (mainly queue and station detailing), I'm mostly happy with where it is at. I figured my time today could be spent on something I had been putting off but really need to do before moving further into the park: the entrance and entrance area.

Before I get to pics, warning: just like RCT3, buildings are my weakest skill in this game. It takes me quite some time to build a single building I'm proud to share (the bathroom stall earlier in the thread took almost 2 hours to perfect), so an entrance area is going to exacerbate this problem. None of the buildings in these shots are final. They lack detail and variety and mainly serve as rough blueprints of where I want my entrance plaza buildings to go, and the materials used may not be the same as the final buildings. Not to mention that all of the entrance plaza buildings so far take up between a third and half of just one side of the entrance plaza, and I've already used up all of the facility types (no food/drink/souvenir shops though).

I am REALLY hoping for some ideas and suggestions from you guys to help spark some level of creative juice flowing for this entrance area. None of the buildings are final, and I'm continuing to work on different ideas for the entrance area in a blank sandbox save (one that I use to come up with ideas for coasters/buildings/etc.)

On to the pics: (Click on images for full-res Imgur uploads.)

/\ Again, the buildings need more detail and I think they may need to be spaced out a bit more (with filler facades between them).

/\ Obligatory night shot

/\ The rough beginnings of the entrance gate. Not even close to finished or even a finalized design.

/\ I'm very proud of the planter and fence work though. As you can see more clearly here, the buildings only take up about half of one side of the entrance plaza. Don't know whether to shrink the entrance plaza, put more space between the buildings or something else.

Again, these are far more in-dev pictures than previous updates, and they are far rougher to look at. However, since buildings are my weakness, I thought I would use the opportunity to ask for your suggestions, ideas and overall feedback about how best to approach this space. I really would like to keep the overall size of the entrance plaza and shrink it as a last resort (that planter and fence work took HOURS), but I am totally open to that route if I deem it necessary.

(NOTE: there are other rides in this park already that I have strategically obscured in these shots that would potentially need to be moved, although none re-designed, if the entrance plaza was shrunk.)

As usual, thanks to all of you for your feedback and I look forward to reading your suggestions and ideas over the weekend.

Scheduling note: I am not off again until next Wednesday, so work on the park will be scattered and sparse. I will try to make time to respond to and take note of your suggestions over the coming days and will spend as much time as I can working on the park. I hope to have another update out no later than Wednesday, and will post sooner if I can.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Lakeside Amusement Park - by TheSweeney (Update! 12/16)
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 11:59 PM »
yeah that garden island looks really nice! great work!

Re: Lakeside Amusement Park - by TheSweeney (Update! 12/16)
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 08:33 PM »
yeah that garden island looks really nice! great work!

Thanks Jay! I really like the planter myself and don't want to change it much.

Hey guys! Another day, another update. I scrapped it. The entire entrance plaza... or at least all the buildings on it. I didn't like them, and couldn't make them work. Instead I decided to focus on just the Information/Guest Services building first, and see what I could come up with. I'm still not 100% pleased with how it came out, but it's miles better than before.

On to the pics! (Click on images for full-res Imgur uploads)

/\ The first major building of the entrance plaza, the Guest Services building. Again, I'm still not 100% pleased with this building, but it certainly looks better than before. Still needs some detailing, but I want to get a couple more buildings down to know I'm sold on the look before I go and spend hours detailing.

/\ Of course the added (basic) details in this building help with making the building as a whole look better than before.

/\ Made some alterations to Corkscrew's station, extending the building over the bottom of the first drop to support the exit path.

/\ More work has been done on the queue area: lights and foliage.

Now, this may not seem like a lot of work but retail around the holidays is both a time and energy suck, so I haven't had as much time to work on the park as I planned. I will have a bit more time over the coming days to work on the park and I certainly plan to spend as much free time as I can doing so. I want to try and get the entrance plaza, the ticket booth and the entrance gate done by Christmas, with final detailing on Corkscrew finished roughly in the same period. I'm gonna try, fingers crossed.

Now, I hinted in the last post that Corkscrew, despite being the only ride you've seen, isn't the only ride in the park. And I wasn't kidding. The park currently has 6 other rides already placed down. They aren't themed or decorated, and their final positions might shift around, but one of them is cemented and won't be moving. So, I decided to give you all a little sneak peak:

More details about this ride coming tomorrow!

Scheduling note: With Christmas right around the corner, I will be spending time with family on top of working the next few days. Tomorrow will see another sneak peek update for the new ride, while Friday will see a somewhat more robust update. There will be no updates this weekend, with a big update planned for sometime Monday.

As usual, I look forward to your feedback, especially regarding the new Guest Services building!

Re: Lakeside Amusement Park - by TheSweeney (Update! 12/21)
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 12:42 AM »
Hey guys! Hit a little bit of a snag with work and stuff yesterday (it's almost 3am on Friday my time) so I didn't get to post my planned Thursday update. So I'm gonna post the teaser in the middle of the night. I'm aiming for an update sometime tomorrow evening, with a follow up on Monday! Until then guys, have a wonderful Christmas weekend!

Re: Lakeside Amusement Park - by TheSweeney (Update! 12/22)
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 02:05 AM »
Hey guys, my last minute Christmas shopping on Friday took much longer than I thought so I wasn't able to get much done in the park on Friday. However, I was able to get some stuff done. However, I've decided to take the weekend to perfect as much as I can and show off much more on Monday.

Small scheduling change: I've picked up extra hours at work on Monday so I won't be off anymore, so the update will probably be pushed until later in the evening Monday. I'm excited to show you the unnamed Family coaster I've built!

Have a good night, a great Christmas weekend and I'll see you all on Monday!