Kaleidoscope Piers: Random shots from around the piers

• 1016 replies

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
Re: Kaleidoscope Piers: New Vintage things!
« Reply #960 on: July 18, 2018, 03:57 AM »
That Aero-flyer station has to be one of the most ornate structures I've yet seen in this game, it's just breathtaking!

« Reply #961 on: July 18, 2018, 04:15 AM »
Ahhh, that was a very satisfying batch of photos.  That you did this all in under a week is all the more astounding.

I noticed the tight turn issue on the WM last night as well...  since I already tried building one of them off the grid I went ahead and let the game dictate my track limits to see how easy the gridded custom supports would be.  Turns out, very easy, but you don't get coasters that look like THAT.   Just beautiful (and clever name!)

« Reply #962 on: July 18, 2018, 05:43 AM »
I'm floored. this building is absolutely beautiful. the interior is stunning.

« Reply #963 on: July 19, 2018, 09:08 AM »
You just broke the internet with those pics.....gorgeous!!!! Your fps at this point must be utter crap.
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 20, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Holy crap, Derek!  Stunning is too mild a word for this stuff, especially that Flying Turns station!  I will, of course, be stealing pretty much all of these ideas.  Thanks so much for the inspiration :)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Kaleidoscope Piers: AERO FLYER POV is here!
« Reply #965 on: July 22, 2018, 09:03 AM »
Thanks so much, guys!!

The AERO FLYER POV is here!

Oh...and I found some old photographs of the ride!

[img

Oh and shot taken from one of those new-fangdangled aero-planes!

and some shots from the boardwalk near the coaster.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:26 AM by Fisherman »

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: July 22, 2018, 10:17 AM »
The Aero Flyer is a beauty to behold.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: July 22, 2018, 06:56 PM »
That looks absolutely gorgeous!  The ride looks like one of the long-dead classics :).  And that old postcard look of the screenies , is that one of the new in-game filters (which I haven't touched at all yet so have no idea what they can do) or Photoshop?

Just out of curiosity, what are the ride's overall EFNs and what is the max lateral G force?  Some of the transitions from turning 1 direction to the other seemed a bit harsh.  I ask because in my own experience so far with building classic-style Flying Turns, with wooden supports and lots of stacked elements, is that they have an intrinsically high fear due to being 1 essentially 1 continuous head-choppper.  Throw in periodic harsh lateral Gs and it's easy to end up with a fear rating well north of 3.8, which will keep the vast majority of families from riding the thing.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: July 22, 2018, 09:32 PM »
Thanks, guys!

That looks absolutely gorgeous!  The ride looks like one of the long-dead classics :).  And that old postcard look of the screenies , is that one of the new in-game filters (which I haven't touched at all yet so have no idea what they can do) or Photoshop?

Just out of curiosity, what are the ride's overall EFNs and what is the max lateral G force?  Some of the transitions from turning 1 direction to the other seemed a bit harsh.  I ask because in my own experience so far with building classic-style Flying Turns, with wooden supports and lots of stacked elements, is that they have an intrinsically high fear due to being 1 essentially 1 continuous head-choppper.  Throw in periodic harsh lateral Gs and it's easy to end up with a fear rating well north of 3.8, which will keep the vast majority of families from riding the thing.

Oh yeah...that was the in-game photo filters...I used sepia, film grain, and vignette.   ;D

For Aero Flyer, the Excitement is 4.28, Fear is 3.92, and Nausea is .94

max lateral force is 2.28 g, max vertical force is 3.31 g, and according to the game, it has 3 inversions.  ha ha

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: July 22, 2018, 10:25 PM »
Wow! This ride (and the whole park) totally captures that 1920s Coney Island look and feel. :up: When I saw that first shot of the station interior (on the previous page) I said 'Wow!' (I seem to be saying that a lot with this park.) It looks like the grand staircase on the Titanic (before it sank, duh.)

I don't have Planet Coaster yet. I've been holding out till it's more complete, maybe till custom content is a thing. But seeing what you, Bullethead, and others are doing, I'm sorely tempted to get it. Noob question: You have dummies riding your Aero Flyer; can't the guests ride the rides yet?

Love the postcards. Hand tinted, no less! :P

« Reply #970 on: July 23, 2018, 05:11 AM »
great shots of a great looking ride

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: July 23, 2018, 05:39 AM »
Oh yeah...that was the in-game photo filters...I used sepia, film grain, and vignette.   ;D

Damn, I've got to play with those (although they're not allowed in the contest so that's a project for down the road).  I'm sure folks would appreciate it if you post up any particularly good settings you find, and maybe a short tutorial on how to use the system.  It looks complicated to me ;).

For Aero Flyer, the Excitement is 4.28, Fear is 3.92, and Nausea is .94
max lateral force is 2.28 g, max vertical force is 3.31 g, and according to the game, it has 3 inversions.  ha ha

Schweet!  Those are some pretty good stats.  What friction setting are you using?

I don't have Planet Coaster yet. I've been holding out till it's more complete, maybe till custom content is a thing. But seeing what you, Bullethead, and others are doing, I'm sorely tempted to get it. Noob question: You have dummies riding your Aero Flyer; can't the guests ride the rides yet?

Howdy JB.  I strongly encourage you to get PC.  As you can see, there's more than enough in the game to make totally awesome stuff.  Fisherman is one of the greatest, but even no-talent posers like me can toss things together in reasonable form :).

I don't see custom content happening any time soon.  However, IMHO, you can already do so much with the game that there's not a huge need for it.  As you can see from all the great stuff around here, you can stack the various pieces together to build just about anything you want, and paint most of it any color you want.  Plus, the billboards allow you to retexture a lot of stuff.  So the main area where I see mods being a thing is in user-created rides and a few small parts that we all want but don't yet have, plus AI/mechanics tweaks/rebalances.  As Frontier is now riding the DLC train, I don't expect them to pre-empt themselves by allowing users to make stuff for the foreseeable future, and many folks only play sandbox so don't care about the AI and mechanics all that much.

As to the dummies....  The number of peeps in the park usually chokes folks' computers before the number of scenery pieces and rides.  The peeps each take CPU time to run their AIs, plus GPU time for all their individual graphics and animations.  When you have a few thousand peeps, this really adds up.  But the thing is, the fancier the park, the more load it imposes by itself, AND the more peeps it attracts.  You CAN set an arbitrarily lower number of peeps you'll allow in the park, but this often looks worse than having the park empty.  So, a lot of the fanciest parks are never open at all, simply so their creators can build them without it being a slide show ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: July 23, 2018, 08:14 AM »
Thanks, guys!   :blush:

Schweet!  Those are some pretty good stats.  What friction setting are you using?

The filters are fun to play around with but honestly, I'll only be using a couple of them.  Some are silly.

The friction is set to 1.3.  It ran a little bit stupid-fast set to 1.0.  Ha ha

Offline zyned

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • www.zyned.nl
« Reply #973 on: July 23, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Awesome pictures! I love that station for Aero Flyer :love:

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 28, 2018, 06:41 PM »
Wow! I love what you did with Aero Flyer!! The historical vibe from it is perfect!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: July 30, 2018, 03:02 PM »
Thanks to Dejooowie over at Bronation, Stingray now has a realistic tower support structure!:

you can get the updated blueprint with all new supports and a smoother layout here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1459681515

I made the supports everywhere else and I added the custom sound effects on the towers to make the "clunks" louder.  ha ha   :n00b:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 03:04 PM by Fisherman »

« Reply #976 on: July 30, 2018, 03:04 PM »
That is gorgeous! What is your frame rate at this point?
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: July 30, 2018, 04:40 PM »
Thanks!  ummm...I'm embarrassed to say...12 FPS with no peeps.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: July 30, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Thanks to Dejooowie over at Bronation, Stingray now has a realistic tower support structure!:

Thanks for sharing!  I've never been happy with the stock blueprint I've been using in Dixie Landin' but I've never wanted to build that particular custom support.  Now I'll see how well this version fits the available space and maybe swap things out ;)

BTW, how do you build things such low FPS?!?!?!?!?!?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #979 on: July 30, 2018, 07:15 PM »
12 FPS with no peeps? How are you still able to build without it seeming like a slide show? I am freaked out with Palisade Park at 40fps and no peeps......it takes forever to build anything. And taking a ride on a coaster requires the settings get turned down to low. Your park is so amazing and I can't wait to explore it in person.......even at 12 fps.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: July 30, 2018, 07:26 PM »
It's weird ...it's only an issue when I'm entering a new building, switching from building to scenery, or vice versa.  Once it catches up it's fine.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Kaleidoscope Piers: Ducks and updated Stingray
« Reply #981 on: July 30, 2018, 10:04 PM »
Worked on a few things this week.  I made an employee parking structure.

And Planco Beach Duck Tours got its ticket office and parking lot.  There's the private ramp to the beach for the water parts of the tours.

WIP ticket office building:

And I was inspired by Morey's Piers' Sea Serpent Boomerang...just how they used every inch of space in between the supports.  So...I put a staff building under Stingray.

And some aerial shots of the park so far:

« Reply #982 on: July 31, 2018, 05:49 AM »
Just gorgeous Derek!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: July 31, 2018, 06:59 AM »
That whole DUKW operation in all its parts looks so real!  And the boomerang definitely looks much better with the custom supports forming a single lift structure, like the real things, instead of each lift having its own.

As to the building under the lifts, the boomerang at Dixie Landin' has that, too, and when I was there last month I took pics from all sides of it so I could recreate it in the game.  It apparently shelters some piece of ride machinery that can't be out in the rain but still needs lots of ventilation.

There are 3 structures between and under the lifts.   These are:

1.  The main electrical building.  This is a shed not far from the end of the station and just inboard of the 1st lift track.  This appears to contain all the main breaker panels and the stuff that divides the 1-phase circuits for the lights and whatnot from the 3-phase that powers the ride itself.  All sorts of big electrical boxes, conduits, and cables are on the exterior or run in or out through the walls.

2.  The transformer.  This is a metal box more or less centered between the tracks and just past the end of the electrical building.  This is where the power comes into the ride from outside the park.

3.  The mystery shed.  This is the largest structure of the 3 and runs transversely under both lifts.  It has 1 personnel door on the right end of the wall that faces the station.  The rest of the walls all around the building are panels of floor-to-ceiling louvers, except for the back wall directly across from the personnel door, which is solid (IOW, only 2 louver panels on the back).  There are no above-ground wires, pipes, or cables connected to this building so there are no obvious clues as to what's in this shed.  But it's probably mechanical in nature, and heat-producing.  Hydraulics, maybe?

Here are a couple of pics (just the links so as not to pollute your thread):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39416639@N02/29890999398/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39416639@N02/42857687375/in/dateposted-public/
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: July 31, 2018, 10:08 AM »
Thanks, guys!!

Oh that's very close to what I made (by coincidence ha ha).  The large T-shaped building is a staff services building (contains 2 staff cubes inside) and the smaller roof is a shed with a generator object inside with chain link walls.  Plus the ride is right up against the backsides of the games building and a food court building.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:13 AM by Fisherman »

Offline JCat

• 3D Studio Maxing Out
    • View Profile
    • Trackworx
« Reply #985 on: July 31, 2018, 01:36 PM »
After that last aerial pic, I actually had to scroll up to previous screen shots to make sure I was looking at a Planet Coaster grab, and not a real photo! Amazing work.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Kaleidoscope Piers: Pip Squeak wooden mouse on the workshop
« Reply #986 on: July 31, 2018, 01:47 PM »
Thanks, JCat!

So I put my wooden mouse on the workshop.  Tricky getting the tight turns since the smallest trurns you can do on the grid are the 4m radius ones.

Pip Squeak

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1460731330

Billboard images for the signs out front if you want to use them:

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Kaleidoscope Piers: Making waves in the community ;op
« Reply #987 on: August 01, 2018, 03:57 PM »
Soooo...apparently I am making waves in the community...literally!   ;D

full beach with 8 waves:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1461963839

single wave version:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1461955747

behind the scenes (or should I say, under the waves): 

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: August 01, 2018, 04:38 PM »
That's even more brilliant than I'd originally thought.  I'd have used scads of individual SFX petards (which means "farters" for those who ain't from the bayou) rather than the long linear ones.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: August 01, 2018, 04:49 PM »
That's even more brilliant than I'd originally thought.  I'd have used scads of individual SFX petards (which means "farters" for those who ain't from the bayou) rather than the long linear ones.

Well...I tried that first ha ha ha!!!  I came across the waterfall piece and tilted it on its side...and...duh...so much easier.  Although each wave has 120 of them.   8|