Disney California Adventure - Silly Symphony Swings

• 11 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Disney California Adventure - Silly Symphony Swings
« on: April 11, 2018, 02:53 PM »

Silly Symphony Swings is a wave swinger attraction in Paradise Gardens Park at the Disneyland Resort in California. Themed to Disney's 1935 short film The Band Concert, Mickey Mouse conducts from high atop the attraction, synchronized with the music. Closely following the plot of The Band Concert the main column of the ride rises, revealing a tornado which spins the riders to the tune of the William Tell Overture and William Tell's "Storm". Once the tornado safely passes, the music comes to an end and the ride slows and lowers riders to the ground.

Guests Must Be
40" (102 cm) or Taller
Age Interest
Kids, Tweens, Teens, Adults
Thrill Level
Spinning

The predecessor of Silly Symphony Swings was the Orange Stinger. The giant orange was a tribute to the orange fields that Disneyland was built on, as well as Orange County, where the Disneyland Resort is located.

A scene from Mickey's Band Concert.

Posters from various old Mickey Mouse shorts adorn the attraction.

Mickey conduct the concert from atop the ride.

POV of the ride. (I got feeling pretty sick while filming this. :P)

If you like this, please let me know. Your comments keep me inspired. If you have your own photos, you're welcome to add to this thread. If you have photos or videos of other theme parks and attractions you want to share, please post them HERE.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:39 PM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Wes

• Daddy, what's an update?
    • View Profile
Re: Disney California Adventure - Silly Symphony Swings
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 12:55 AM »
It was a fun little tribute, but that orange was such an eyesore. Glad they opted for a more open-air approach with the symphony swings. It's less unique, but it's also more fun.
The Game

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 09:15 AM »
I'm kind of torn... the current theming is definitely more elegant and has a more blatant tie-in to Disney roots, but I don't hate the orange.  I'd definitely be more apt to ride the attraction if it were enclosed.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 09:48 AM »
I kinda liked the original orange look too. I liked the sound of bees you heard while riding. And originally they added an orange scent to the attraction, but that attracted real bees. So they discontinued that.

With the new themeing coming to the land, and the land's title changing to Pixar Pier, I wonder if the Silly Symphonies theme will once again be changed in the future.

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 03:49 PM »
I loved the Soundtrack! It made a simple ride so dramatic :D.
I'm glad that i'm in the prime of my health and i spend every single day in front of a glowing rectangle.

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 01:27 PM »
Looks like the swings are not being changed at least for now...

The first of the four themed neighborhoods guests will find is inspired by “The Incredibles.” Here, the new Incredicoaster, permanently transformed from the attraction that is now California Screamin’, will open with Pixar Pier in summer 2018. This new experience will feature a mid-century-modern-style loading area, new character moments and a new look for the ride vehicles. To prepare for this transformation, California Screamin’ will close Jan. 8.

The popular Toy Story Mania! will anchor the “Toy Story”-inspired neighborhood. A neighborhood inspired by “Inside Out” will be found on the western side of the boardwalk and will welcome a new family-friendly attraction, scheduled to open at a later date.

The fourth neighborhood will be a celebration of many of your favorite Pixar stories. In this neighborhood, Mickey’s Fun Wheel will have a new look, with each of the 24 gondolas featuring different Pixar characters and the iconic face of Mickey Mouse remaining on the Paradise Bay side of the wheel. At the Games of the Boardwalk, which already includes the Bullseye Stallion Stampede game, all of the midway games will be inspired by Pixar characters. Mickey’s Fun Wheel, Games of the Boardwalk and Sideshow Shirts will close Jan. 8 to begin this transformation.

Ariel’s Grotto restaurant and the Cove Bar will be transformed into a new lounge and grill offering sparkling views of Paradise Bay and the new Pixar Pier. Both locations will close Jan. 8, with Cove Bar reopening briefly in April before closing again for its permanent transformation. Guests wishing to reserve “World of Color” dining packages after Jan. 7 may consider Carthay Circle Restaurant or Wine Country Trattoria.

The remaining areas of the land that is now Paradise Pier, including Paradise Gardens, Silly Symphony Swings, Jumpin’ Jellyfish, Goofy’s Sky School, Golden Zephyr and The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, will become a new land called Paradise Park.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 11:06 PM »
^ I didn't know that about splitting the area into 2 sections. Thanks for the info.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Some more Silly Symphony photos...

Rider Requirements sign.

Mickey's Band Concert members being whisked away by the twister.

A couple of views from Mickey's Fun Wheel.

(Right click and choose "View Image" to enlarge, as you can for all pictures)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:27 PM by shyguy »

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 05:02 PM »
Must ride with a "responsible person."  :P

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 12:04 PM »

A nighttime shot of the Swings.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 07:53 PM »
I have always liked the style of the buildings that surround this attraction. Of course everything looks better at night and this is no exception. Wonderful photos as always!

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 04:13 PM »
great shot