SeaWorld - Explorer's Reef (Horseshoe Crabs)

• 4 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
SeaWorld - Explorer's Reef (Horseshoe Crabs)
« on: June 13, 2018, 11:04 AM »
Explorer's Reef

The Explorer's Reef opened in 2014 and serves as SeaWorld's entrance plaza.

The exhibits in the Explorer's Reef are designed to make guests feel that they are walking under and through an over-sized coral reef.

Cleaner Fish

The Cleaner Fish exhibit, like all the exhibits in the Explorer's Reef, is a hands-on experience, where you are allowed to touch and interact with the fish.

Guests are encouraged to place their hands in the tank to let the Cleaner Fish, "clean" them.

The Cleaner Fish are actually cleaning the dead skin cells off your hands and arms.

Lacking any teeth, the fish vibrate their "lips" to do the cleaning. And it tickles.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:44 PM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: SeaWorld - Explorer's Reef (Bamboo Sharks)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 03:32 PM »
Bamboo Sharks

The second species of fish on display at the Explorer's Reef are the Bamboo Sharks.

Like the other exhibits here, it's a hands-on exhibit.

In case you're unsure, this sign says it's okay to touch the sharks.

A White-spotted Bamboo Shark.

A pair of Brown-banded Bamboo Sharks.

Colorful "coral-reef" planters surround the exhibits.

These Epaulette Shark eggs are on display.

There are three species of bamboo sharks represented in two different tanks. Brown-Banded Bamboo Sharks, White-spotted Bamboo Sharks, and Epaulette Sharks (the ones with the large spot).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:36 PM by shyguy »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: SeaWorld - Explorer's Reef (Horseshoe Crabs)
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 01:30 PM »
Horseshoe Crabs

One of the ugliest sea animals is the Horseshoe Crab. And here, you can see them up close and touch them, if you like.

Horseshoe crabs have been around for 450 million years, sometimes being referred to as "living fossils."

I thought this pair was dead, but apparently, Horseshoe Crabs like to flip over and lay around on their backs.

Offline JB

• shyguy's rocks, rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:44 PM »
 "apparently, Horseshoe Crabs like to flip over and lay around on their backs."

Ha! I never knew that about horseshoe crabs. Although, there's a lot I don't know about horseshoe crabs. I did know they were referred to as 'living fossils' though. I'm not aware of any other kinds of crabs that like to lie on their backs. (Are they working on their tans?). I would've thought they were dead as well. (Um, are you sure they're not dead?) I enjoy these excursions to SoCal parks. Thanks shyguy. My first post, by the way. :up:
<<<<<< Everything changes. All the time. It's the nature of the universe. Nothing remains the same. >>>>>>

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:49 PM »
"apparently, Horseshoe Crabs like to flip over and lay around on their backs."

Ha! I never knew that about horseshoe crabs.
Well, that's what the attendant at the exhibit said. Maybe it's only these two particular crabs. :P And I did see them moving, so no, they weren't dead. I do know if they get stranded on their backs out of the water, they can die. But these two were under the water, so I assume they weren't in any danger. I hope not.

I enjoy these excursions to SoCal parks. Thanks shyguy. My first post, by the way. :up:
Thanks for posting and welcome to The Turnstile Tribune and SGW. :)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:56 PM by shyguy »