CS, CFR & CTR General Help Thread (Installation, Creation and More)

• 536 replies
Hello everyone,

I noticed a number of threads pop up in the last few days asking for help either installing certain sets, asking for help creating CS and other general custom object questions. So in an effort to keep this section of the forum clean these sorts of questions will now be asked here so the CS projects themselves stay at the top of the board. :) As new threads appear asking these sorts of questions I will merge them here.

The rest of this post is a quote of the existing CS forums survival thread which should hopefully answer some questions. I'll consider adding additional information here if the same questions are asked repeatedly.

The Cs Forums Survival Guide

What is Custom Scenery?

Custom Scenery is objects that are custom-made by the Roller Coaster Tycoon community. The Custom scenery is 2d or 3d objects created for use within your Roller Coaster Tycoon game.

Will It Harm My Computer?

No, Custom Scenery will not harm your computer as long as you install it correctly. Most custom scenery packs contain a read me file which will tell you how to install the scenery, Should this not be included then here are the instructions;

Download the File
Extract the contents to somewhere which you will remember
Go to Start>My Computer>C Drive>Program Files>Atari>RollerCoaster Tycoon® 3>Style>Themed
Paste the Folder into here (If you are on Vista you will have to accept the move of the file)

If you are worried about receiving a virus, you can always scan it and I think some websites scan the file themselves.

Where do I find the scenery?

The scenery is generally found in the Objects or walls/roofs tabs, However custom scenery may be in any tab as long as you are in the scenery section.

Want to make your own Custom Scenery?

Here are a few links to places where you may learn to create your own Custom Scenery.

Shyguys World Tutorials

Aliens CS making for Dummies - http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php?topic=927.0

Other Website Tutorials

http://redoctoberrct3.webs.com/tutorials.htm

Atari Community

Belgabor's tutorial - http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556048

Ok so I just came back to find this closed, messaged LoneWolf and now I hope to get it back up and even better than before, I need to refresh my mind on Custom Scenery creating which shouldn't take too long seeing as I'm doing some 3d stuff in school now. Any help, what to add? Send me a message.

Offline Dutcher

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • View Profile
[Question] Making curved fences.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 06:31 AM »
As we might all know there are some curved fences out there, however it seems quite tedious. Is there some sort of follow tool or technique to let grouped objects (basic fence) follow a set out line in sketchup?

Thanks in advance,
Just an empty signature guys. Nothing to see here. Cary on.

Offline Pat

• It's Captain Professor Pat the Pirate for you!
    • View Profile
Re: [Question] Making curved fences.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 06:39 AM »
I have send you a PM already ;).

Re: [Question] Making curved fences.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 06:45 AM »
Merging this with the CS General Help thread. :)

Offline RTRC

• Even rocks can break bones
    • View Profile
Re: CS, CFR & CTR General Help Thread (Installation, Creation and More)
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 03:37 PM »
Im having a problem with effect points. I have my effect point loaded with my model (however I didn't group the bone with any mesh, is this whats wrong with it?)and the bone is positioned and everything. But for some reason once I place it, it crashs my game. I did the particle start and selected "campfire" for my effect point and did nothing else if this is important information. Help anyone? :(

Offline StationJimJr

• There's always money in the Banana stand!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 04:41 PM »
Im having a problem with effect points. I have my effect point loaded with my model (however I didn't group the bone with any mesh, is this whats wrong with it?)and the bone is positioned and everything. But for some reason once I place it, it crashs my game. I did the particle start and selected "campfire" for my effect point and did nothing else if this is important information. Help anyone? :(

Did you create a "particle end" too?

This tutorial worked for me, see if you missed anything - http://coasterfreaksrct3allthingscustom.iforums.us/coasterfreaks-partical-effects-tutorial-beginners-basic-vt113.html

Good luck :)

Please don't PM me requests, I don't wanna be rude but I'll ignore you!

Offline RTRC

• Even rocks can break bones
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 10:10 AM »
Ah thats it. I frogot to add the end part of the particle to. Thanks! Its working properly now. :)

Offline Dutcher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Can someone please explain how you use shared textures. I'm going to make a path set that has about 80-100 pieces for every texture, if not more, so a shared texture would come in handy.

Offline StationJimJr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 03:55 PM »
Weber made this tut - http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,5759.msg159681.html#msg159681

Step 2 is very important! Import one piece and save the set before making the texture OVL. I got stuck on that!
Also, sometimes you have to exit the "create OVL" window and re-enter it before your textures show will up in grey at step 4.

And save the scenery file too. It makes adjusting things later alot easier! :)

Offline Dutcher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 02:37 AM »
^Thanks, that is exactly what I needed.

Offline Yoshi

• So, I kind of fell off the wagon for a while...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 07:31 AM »
Misplaced post removed for dutcher, at his request.
I suck. Really.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DinoYoshi133

Offline Captain EO

• We are here to change the World
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 04:53 PM »
Hello, I was wondering how to do an icon sheet with pictures. My main problem is how to recognize how the icons are read in the importer. For example, how do I know that icon NR001xx01/y01 goes to a certain wall? I've looked through tutorials and I can't find a clear answer to this question. Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT - never mind, I self educated myself.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:53 PM by Captain EO »

Offline thylacine

• Expect something soonish
    • View Profile
I went looking through the CS list site. I noticed that I have a few of the sets that are listed that there is no working download for, I only went through the "P" section thought so I might have more. But all I have is the set and not the readme that might have came with the set. How would I go about setting up a working link with it?

Also I have a set that was only released to me a LONG time ago that might others might want. I asked Jamie quite a while back to help me out by making Cigarette ashtrays to add to my Gotham City park way back in I think it was 07 that I would think should be publicly released by now, there are a few random pieces that work as frames for a few of the billboards that I don't really remember why they where made.I can post a pic of this one when I can find some time to get into the game.

-thylacine

Offline rctfan321

• Just playing around
    • View Profile
Hey,
I got a question: I recently learned blender, and now I want try to make some custom scenery with it. I already download the blender scripts but where do I have to place them?

Thanks in advance.
Gentlemen start your engine!

I also got another question  and its that bigburger timber's support killer is not working so hlp me

Offline Dutcher

• View Profile
^there should be another better support killer in Jcat's/Plumbers Steel workX

No for the wooden coaster and rides that have wooden supports

Offline rctfan321

• Just playing around
    • View Profile
I've got an problem.

I know the importer creates an new directory for new cs (windows 7), but I can't find it nowere.  :facepalm:
It is something with comtibality files, but I can't find it.

Thanks in andvance.
Gentlemen start your engine!

I think I have the same problem as rct-fan, i made a test set and now wanna uninstall it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the Style/Themed. It has to be somewhere, im on vista, little help ?

Offline Jammy3112

• Cult Of Personality
    • View Profile
Sorry, I didn't know where to post this.

I just tried to log into the CS List on here, but it says my username doesn't exist?

Any help would be appreciated, and apologies again if this is in the wrong place!

Offline Krankin4

• View Profile
    • RCT3CSOS Custom Objects And More
So I got this right, you tried to log onto the "CS List" page and your not talking about the "CS Depot"?

You must be a staff member to log onto the CS List and am sure they would love an extra hand If your able to do the job.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:08 AM by Krankin4 »

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 11:17 PM »
Hi! I'd like to ask about the lighting in game and the models I am making. Can I make a model that always stays the same 'brightness' no matter what time of day it is ingame? For example no shadows? I'm making a wall and I would like it to be nice and bright without it being dark later in the game. Thanks!
Hi I'm Kukaelio_ono!

Offline StationJimJr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 01:30 AM »
Hi! I'd like to ask about the lighting in game and the models I am making. Can I make a model that always stays the same 'brightness' no matter what time of day it is ingame? For example no shadows? I'm making a wall and I would like it to be nice and bright without it being dark later in the game. Thanks!

You can either set the normals to '+z' or use an unlit texture style when you're here...

Both would work, see what's best for you!

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2012, 07:27 PM »
Thanks StationJimJr both work fine!
Hi I'm Kukaelio_ono!

Offline BlueSpirit

• ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 10:05 AM »
hello guys! I don't know if this is the right place to ask it, but to make a own topic is a bit over the top ;)
I have a small question:

I recently downloaded the SLC CT from Heverton and installed it, there was no read me(there was one, but that was a "link" to his site/blog...) so I am not sure I installed it the right way. the scenery and the coaster file are on the right place but I'm not sure about the Track Riders pack. I have put the "CTR_Vekoma_SLC_Coaster" in the cars/TrackedRideCars map and the "TrackCTR_VekomaSLCCoaster" in the tracks/TrackedRides map. I think it is the right way...
but when I start the game I can find the scenery but not the coaster...

can someone help me please?

PS. I have the same problem with Spice's Inverted Coaster...

Offline Weber

• It's not over till it's over.
    • View Profile
    • velvetskyemusic.com
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 12:37 PM »
This is a simple tutorial for creating effect points.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:41 PM by Weber »

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 12:16 PM »
Hi, I hope someone can help. I'm fairly new to CS making but do know how to use skechup and the rct importer. The problem is that when i import an object with 2 textures even though i have them grouped and labeled correctly the texture becomes micro-sized tiled when imported and not the size I set in sketchup.. Please Please tell me what i'm doing wrong as its holding up my creation of a SteamPunk set ive created. Many thanks in advance :) :)

Offline StationJimJr

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 12:24 PM »
You'll need to re-apply the texture in SU. Make sure you set the pins properly the first time you introduce a new texture to your model. Select the face (just the face, no edges) with the texture on it, right click and select texture/position and then pull the pins to where you need them). I then use the eyedropper tool from here on in to apply it to different models, that should ensure it'll turn out as it's supposed to.

I'm not totally sure but I think this happened to me when I painted the texture to a group instead of an un-grouped face. So if you have an untextured model that's already been grouped, you'll have to edit the group before applying your texture. Hope that makes sense, it's tough to explain! ;D

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 04:19 AM »
Many thanks for your help StationJimJr, I understand what you said and now my problem is solved. Many thanks again

Offline Kronos

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2012, 05:35 AM »
Hello, new guy here, I've been downloading new CSO sets like a madman (or rather, a kid in a candy shop, since I thought the RCT3 community died out years ago, only to find it's still producing amazing things), and I've encountered a problem with several of the sets I now have. With some sets, the thumbnail images aren't working correctly, and all I get is this nearly solid color square that shows up for every item that doesn't help me know what anything is before I build it in-game. The actual items are perfectly fine, but some of these CSOs are quite large and I don't want to sort through them blindly just to try and throw something together as if trying to grab legos out of a bag blindfolded. If anybody can suggest how to fix this issue, I'd appreciate it very much. If it helps, here's a list of sets that seem to have this problem:

from MGP2300:
-Generic Mine Buildings set
-ApokX/Apocalypse set
-Power Panel set
-Artica Station set
-Sci-fi/Artica Station expansion set

from Old-Spice:
-Boxes set (the thumbnails here appear to just be the high-detail box textures, not really a problem since they're, y'know, all box shaped)
-Construction set (only the set thumbnail, the images for the individual items are fine)

from Archbak
-Panthers set
Please check out and comment on my stuff;
http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,11294.0.html - Starlight Park
http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,11181.0.html - Temple Raider Coaster Project